Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Does anybody have one of these?

Sometime in 1929, the under-bonnet valances on Sevens ceased to be made as separate panels and were incorporated into the sills, so that there was a single steel panel running from the cowhorn to the rear wheel arch, with the 'thing' shown in red in the picture bolted to its lower edge.

I am looking for a pattern for one of these 'things'(offside or nearside, I think both are the same) or even just some idea of its general dimensions. Can anyone out there help, please?

John

Re: Does anybody have one of these?

Hi,might be able to help. The o/s and n/s are different ,and it depends on the model as well .what year?. mac

Mac's right, they are different, the N/S has a cutout for the exhaust pipe to start with, at least on my RP's, and all different on the O/S by the steering box etc.

I have 2 sets of 'Valance'/'Splash Plates', one has the channels concave, the other convex, I suspect the convex are repro's....

Sandy

Re the "sometime in 1929". Can anyone verify that this change occured as early as that? Cheers, Bill in Oz.

Thank you all for your replies. In answer to your queries, the car is a boat-tail 2 seater, registered in March 1930, but produced I think in Dec '29 or Jan '30 (chassis 101155, long scuttle). I assume the change from separate valances to valances integral with the sills occurred in Sep '29 with the AE tourer (this from the A7 Source Book). I took my picture from a drawing of the AE body panels in the Source Book (Fig 619) which seems to show identical panels on each side. The groove in the nearside panel looks as though it might be to accommodate the exhaust pipe, and I rather thought that if this groove was deep enough the U-shaped cutout for the pipe found on earlier (and later) cars might not be necessary, but this is pure speculation. There seems to be no reason other than ease of manufacture for the other panel to be an exact mirror image (sorry,this is what I meant to say when I said they were identical!), but this is how it's shown in the book, and there seems to be no cut-out to clear the drop arm, etc. All very curious!

John