Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
YM5773

Does anyone know what became of YM5773; the car is shown after being rescued from an overgrown garage in Somerset a few years ago. This car is wrongly recorded on a list of early tours I have as Chassis 5227, which it deffinatly isn't

Re: YM5773

Hi Ian. There's a doubtful possibility that the alleged early chassis has a later body fitted, but I think I detect the trace of a shock-absorber, which maybe rules out that theory. The top windscreen size as shown became general by mid-1925 so maybe the chassis number is 15227, which would be latish '25. As for present location - I can't help from where I sit !!. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: YM5773

A further thought - as YM 7319 has chassis 15919, perhaps my guess may not be so far off the mark? Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: YM5773

Hi Bill, At around the same time that YM5773 was discovered in Somerset, two other early cars ,a 24 and a 25 were also found in Somerset, these also went to auction in Bristol. The 24 was chassis number 5227 and was supplied new in Bristol registered HU 801. Someone has wrongly assumed that YM5773 was one of the cars at the Bristol auction and has recorded the details as those of HU801 that indecently is still here in Bristol. So where has YM gone ?

Re: Re: YM5773

DGT, Thats the two cars at the Bristol sale, the one without the number plate is HU-801 Ian

Thanks. I took a number of images at the time. This is my favourite:

YM 5773 was not on the Pram Hood Register (it is now). The numberplate dates it to January 1926, and the style of the body is correct for that date. The car looks wonderfully original - it even has the mirror!

The cars Ian mentions that went to auction in Bristol are on the PHR, and came from the Cannock dealers in Bristol. The oldest is HU 801, chassis no. 5227, July 1924. The other is YB 5286, chassis no. 13592, October 1925. This car was originally sold by Cannocks in March 1926 to Miss Lucy Wither who subsequently gave it back to the business. David Cannock used it before putting it into store in 1950s, where it stayed until it was unearthed and sold 5 years ago.

David