Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mystery special

Searching through the MotorSport boxes of negs came across this;

1932 Lands End Trial is all I know about it. My guess is that the first letter has "fallen off" the reg plate. D on it's own is a Maidstone number up to 1913.

Anyone have any ideas? I'll have a look in Beatrice's book later on when I get home.

Dad, (Graham) seemed to think;
...seems to be built from a very
early chassis (6" brakes and what looks like beaded edge tyres)...

Re: Mystery special

Looking (very) closely at the scan it appears the first letter could be O, C or G. Can't quite make out the writing on the tail but it isn't the reg. number.

This wasG.L. Clegg. He got a silver award but what a nasty special

I think the writing on the tail says "Dorcas". See John Bolster's "Specials" for a brief anecdote. Certainly an appropriate name!

Regards, Stuart

Re: Re: Mystery special

Not convinced by the styling, or lack of...

Just read the John Bolster article and realise that looks arn't everything! What great characters the builders where!!! Reading of their exploits confirms that this was a true special , certainly worthy of the name "special" although Dorcas is a different subject altogether!

Are there any pictures of their later specials? the four wheel drive deathtraps sound incredible!

Just goes to confirm that speed hillclimbing is the greatest sport ever. Why waste money on tickets to Silverstone and watch a multi million Dollar business pander to sponsers, when you could spend your money on VSCC Wiscombe, Shelsley or Prescott and relax on a grassy bank smelling the oil and vibrating to Jap V twins.............

I think I need to lay off the whisky these winter evenings?

Here's John Bolsters description from "Specials".....

http://www.bsafwdc.co.uk/page94.php