Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Interesting and expensive from Ebay US

Have a look at this.

Starting bid $54,750!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300173206227&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:MOTORS:1123

Peter

Re: Interesting and expensive from Ebay US

Interesting, but expensive!!

Could do with a wipe over with an oily rag, and maybe a good going over with a greasegun as well!

Steve

If you think the speedster is expensive, than have a look at this : http://www.classicdriver.de/uk/find/4100_dealers2_results.asp?next=4100%5Fdealers2%5Fresults%2Easp&whatbutton.x=0&dealerid=11606&sorderby=tblManufacturers%2EsName%2C+tblModels%2EsModel&action=simple%5Fsearch&lmanufacturer=%2A&lcurrency=7&bsubmit=true&lmodelflag=%2A&lCarID=1738549
(sorry for the long link)
This surely must be the most expensive Austin at the moment !!

Regards,
Ralf

The racer (made in Cheshire by Dave Gregson, 1980's?) at the German dealer is a bargain at 94.990 euros, thats £68.38, I can't find a buy now option.
The American Austin 'prototype' is nonsense.
The front brakes are missing, it's got the wrong wheels, homemade body, a piece of Perspex for a windscreen and hideous modern vinyl upholstery,etc. etc.

Well I must admit that i know nothing about Bantam's or how they were built, but where are the front brakes? Photo 32!!

Cannot see a handbrake inside either

Re: Re: Interesting and expensive from Ebay US

Several engine "studs" seem to have been replaced with bolts to make it look pretty?
The dynamo and distributor arrangement are different, so I presume American Austins/Bantams lend themselves more easily to a dynamo upgrade?
There is also an electrical solenoid for the starter?

It would be interesting to know if these differences are those carried out by American Austin , or just more recent upgrades?

It does look much lke something you can see on the Discovery channels "American Hotrod" show, very much a show car?

Steve

Steve,

Mills - Original Austin Seven, states that from 1933 the American Bantam abandoned the gear-driven dynamo in favour of a V belt driven fan and dynamo set up with the casting on top of the timing case being altered to accept the distributor. Most of the electrical equipment was apparently supplied by Auto-Lite, as are the ones in the photos - so they're possibly as per original spec. The inlet manifold 'Tenual' is certainly original, the carb should apparently be a Tillotson - not sure if this is.

Jeff