Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Works TT's and Ducks

I've just been looking at the latest photos posted on Austin's site. Excellent side view of 2 works cars in the pits, Phoenix Park, 1930.
They appear to have wheel hubs drilled at the centre 5/16" or 3/8". The practice was carried on through to the Ducks.
My question is when and why did they start doing it and why didn't the amateurs copy the practice?

Re: Works TT's and Ducks

Is it to do with fitting Ace disks for stream lining???

Regards

Rob

Could well be for discs - see Austins site for May 1931 - "BARC Whitsun Meeting" Brooklands. Not Ace though. Ace discs clamped to the wheels without the need for extra holes.

Personal experience of these would suggest that they certainly make wheel cleaning easy, but the increased effect of side winds on a light car makes the handling even more interesting! I would not recommend them on a racer. Maybe on a heavier car there could be an advantage

Martin

Re: Re: Works TT's and Ducks

I think the disk wheels had a separate hub cap to cover the wheel nuts held on by a chromed acorn nut in the centre. I have seen several wheel with holes in the middle, and a couple with a bolt in the hole, so i dont think this method was exclusive to the racers

Regards

Rob

Graham,
Ive wondered for a long time what the hole in the centre of the solid centre wheel and disc wheels are.I had discounted wheel discs some while ago and now favour a method Austins used to transport the wheels around securely ie with a rod running thru a stack on a lorry etc,

Re: Re: Works TT's and Ducks

Did the military spec cars have a hole in the centre for lifting eyes to be screwed in? Probably not the reason here becasue I think they were 18 inch?

Steve

When Martin Eyre bought his Duck from Dougie van Reit amongst the many spares was a set of 19" wheels with a 5/16 hole in the centre of each SS cap.Now that a decent 19" tyre is available its Martins intention to put the car back on those wheels.