Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
speedo

I have just bought a new speedo and want to reset the mileometer 9its he tyype that looks like a spinning top rather than the usual clock dial). Having looked at my old one, which appears to be missing lots of internal bits to drive the mileometer, it looks like the only thing stopping the numbers from turning is a flexible clip which locates over a bit on the side of each number dial (am I explaining this properly?). it seems that all I need to do it lift the clip with a screwdriver and spin the dial. before I do this on a new working speedo with all the internals in place I wanted to see if there was anyone who was going to say 'just don't turn it clockwise/anticlockwise as you will break off/loosen etc a clip/clamp/locator' (delete as appropriate).
thanks
Andy

Re: speedo

Depends what you want to reset it to!

If zero, just turn front bezel anticlockwise to release it, remove glass and then 'pull' down each number by the 'tag' on the right hand side of the number dial. They stop at zero.

If you want to reset it to 12345, then you will have to take the back off and remove the retaining clip at the left had end of the spindle to the numbered dials(as seen from the front - reading the numbers) and then open up the dials so that the little clip that catches each higher number once per revolution (turning the next higher dial one number) misses the adjacent dial so you can set the mileage you want - that sounds difficult, but it's very easy really once you've done a few. Main thing is don't interfere with the rotating dial.

If all else fails, you could send it to someone who's done it before........

Sandy

Re: speedo

got it thanks, thats pretty much where I was having played with the dead one, just wanted to be sure I wasn't messing with the guts in doing this. thanks Andy