Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Caption competition

I found this and it made me chuckle. I make it 9 people trying to help!

(It's at Shelsley Walsh in 1938.)

Re: Caption competition

"And next, we'll change a lightbulb."

Re: Re: Caption competition

"Testing showed improvements with the twin rear wheels fitted, although some claimed it did increase the weight somewhat".

Re: Re: Re: Caption competition

'It was probably this very transporter that inspired Rudi Ulenhaut of Mercedes Benz to produce that exciting 90mph+, 300SL based, racing car carrier of the mid-fifties.'

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Caption competition

"I thought I'd put the ramps in.."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Caption competition

"You can have your very own 1930s race car transporter: Take a buzz saw two the bottom end of a 1930s caravan, add A7 rear wings as mudgaurds and a pair of doors on the back, jobs a good un!!!"

A task carried out by the apprentices me thinks!!

Rob

"Half a crown and once round the track to the man that finds the diff filler plug."

2 of the very first photos I took with my new Kodak Brownie 127 whilst on our family holiday. Dover 1955, I was 9. That's Austin's grandfather posing in front of the castle where he and my mother were posted during the war. Our Triumph Mayflower to the left. Note the foreign trucks waiting to embark for France....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The couple in the background are looking at this!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I think they were on their way back from Aintree and I bet they had ramps.

its heads, you have to tell him we can't fix it

"OK so the seat won't go back, whoever is shortest can drive!"

That Mercedes Transporter is now in the new Mercedes-Benz museum in Stuttgart.

Here's a pic of it - I was there earlier in the year.

But please note that it is not the one on the phantastic photo - it is a replica.
The original has been scrapped in the sixties, if I am right - what a shame...

How splendid - what a rare shot of that transporter.

I feel that this must have been your '54 rather than your '55 holiday. You set me to looking for other pictures and it seems that the '55 cars were open-wheelers, the ones with which Moss and Fangio achieved first and second at Aintree. These were numbered 12 and 10, whilst Kling had 14 and Taruffi 30. Moss's first GP win incidentally.

At Silverstone in '54 Fangio only managed 4th place with Kling 7th, with the streamliners like the car on the back of the transporter in your picture. This is numbered 11, whilst Fangio's car was 1 and Kling's 2. Both the race cars had frontal damage from contact with the oil drums which marked the course (how things have changed!). Number 11 is pristine, I think it must have been the spare car.

What a bloddy anorak I am

Mike

I just realised, that it was thought above, that the Mercedes racer is the GP streamliner - well, actually, it is not. It is the 300 SLR sportscar, which could not have been for the Silverstone GP.
I am pretty sure, thogh, that it must be the return trip from the TT in Dundrod (race date Sept. 17th 1955). The cars finished 1-2-3 there.

"What are those bums from Longbridge up to now?" (said Cecil Kimber, allegedly)