Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
'26 Chummy switch panel

Me again! Does anyone have a CAV instrument panel for sale. Even a damaged or incomplete one woud help as mine has some broken contacts. Thank you. David Williams 07860 547056

Re: '26 Chummy switch panel

Hi David - is it the 3-button switchpanel that you are seeking? They are very rare! You might be better to try to repair the one you have. You might also like to think about fitting 6V 10A relays to take the load off the fragile and tarnished brass contacts.

Please could you tell us a bit about your car - chassis number, etc?

David Cochrane

Re: Re: '26 Chummy switch panel

There is one for sale here in N Z at present for $200 N Z -about 65 pounds in your money. I have left details on your email address,but I am told you are out of the office till monday-please mail me if you are interested

Re: Re: Re: '26 Chummy switch panel

Before you buy another, just check that the right-hand button says "DIM". If it says "S&T" (side & tail-lights) it's not an Austin 7 but an Austin 12 switch panel. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: Re: '26 Chummy switch panel

As an afterthought, it would help others to help you if you divulge the chassis number as David requested, 'cos if your car turns out to be late 1926 it shouldn't have the three-button CAV switchpanel, but the two-teardrop Lucas panel. If the latter is required you'll find replacement and price much easier. Good Luck, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: '26 Chummy switch panel

Bill, You're right, I should have included the vehicle information, especially as I've been in the motor industry all my working life!
Austin Seven Chummy KA 6684, 1st Reg.6th March 1927
Car number A3 3989, Engine M 24344, Chassis 100 019
It came largely complete and with the CAV panel in place. What do you think. From the little |I've read the indroduction of new parts was sometimes a bit hit and miss. I understood it was something lke September '26 production although not registered until early '27. Regards, David Williams

Re: Re: Re: '26 Chummy switch panel

Hi Steve

Do you have any pictures, especially of the rear contacts? I'm still away from work as I had to go into hosptal nepectedly, but I'm home now and can access my work email. Regards, David Williams

Re: Re: Re: Re: '26 Chummy switch panel

Thanks Bill, good bit of advice. Regards, David Williams

Chassis no looks a bit odd

Re: Re: '26 Chummy switch panel

David, in all the time I've had ths car I never checked the chassis number against the paperwork. Bu##er. Now I come to look at some pictures of the chassis it looks like 24279. Is that possible or should there be another digit? I'll need to go and look at the chassis itself later today to be sure. I've got a horrible feeling you've just opened a can of worms! Regards, David Williams.

David
24279 is more like it.