Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Camshaft 'Kick'

I have a small amount of end float on the front camshaft bearing of my early (1930) coil engine. I understand that the locating hole can become slightly elongated partly because of this 'kick' phenomenon from too much end float on the shaft within the bearing such that the square headed bolt no longer holds the bearing snug in the crankcase.

Does anyone have experience of redrilling a new locating hole (and oil feed hole)or is it regarded as too much of a bodge and best left alone?

Re: Camshaft 'Kick'

Norman
I drilled straight through the original thread in the crankcase and straight into the hole in the bush that used to locate the dowel on the end of the original bolt. I then tapped through with a metric thread to annoy the rivet counters and used a cap head bolt with a sealing washer. It doesnt appear to leak.

Steve

I had the same problem and drilled out the existing hole to clean it up and then made a new square headed bolt with a matching location pin.
Regards
Brian

If you redrill the locating hole and oil feed in a different place, the groove in the bush that lets oil emerge into the timing case will no longer coincide with the oil feed and will reduce the timing gear oil supply. You can make an annular groove in the bush to feed the original oil groove, of course, but I suspect this is one good reason for reworking the original locating hole.

Regards, Stuart