Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Long Range Desert Group

There is an obituary in the Daily Telegraph for 11 December for Brigadier Rupert Harding-Newman.

He was one of those instrumental in the formation of the Long Range Desert Group during WWII.

It is interesting to note that in the Spring of 1931 he returned from Abbassia Garrison in Cairo to Bovington Camp in Dorset driving an Austin Seven.

Mike

Re: Long Range Desert Group

Mike, have you read Ralph Bagnold's "Libyan Sands"? One of my favourites, even if it involves model A Ford trucks instead of Austin 7s. As you will appreciate, Bagnold's forays into the Libyan Desert formed a useful grounding for the LRDG.
If you can find an early edn. it has nice photos.

Regards, Stuart

Re: Re: Long Range Desert Group

Thanks for that Stuart. I think I will try the library after the break. I looked at Amazon and they have four second-hand copies (paperbacks) ranging from 54 pounds to 99 pounds. Plus P+P. I note the original RRP was 5.94.

I wonder if there is a record of Rupert H-N's trip anywhere. We might try the museum at Bovington out of curiosity. Anybody live close?

Mike

Re: Long Range Desert Group

I must be getting old! Staggered by the price of the little Hodder and Stoughton wartime copies (which have no illustrations)on Abe books.

May be worth keeping the eyes peeled in the charity shops!

Almost hesitate to mention "Long Range Desert Group" by Kennedy Shaw....

Regards, Stuart