Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Owning an Austin Seven

Hello everyone. Glad to have found this forum, maybe someone has any good advise to give to me. After many hours spent reading classic car magazines, front to back a nd back to front, both new and old, I have as probably most others, lusted over a number of cars. I came to the point where there wasn't much that I would like to own and have fun with and most importantly afford without my wife leaving me after 7 months of mariage...

I have a two classic cars which I use regularly, an Aston DB6 and a Jag Mk2 240 which is for sale, so need a fun replacement for it, and then it really struck me, an Austin 7! Preferably I would like to have an Ulster replica or something similar.

Anyway, to the point, I have never driven an Austin 7, never even sat in one, I have read a little abou the car online and it seems like the perfect initiation to pre-war car ownership, but maybe Im missing something with all the excitement? Anyone have any good advise to a prospective owner?

Re: Owning an Austin Seven

1. Visit www.a7ca.org

2. Look at the list of member clubs.

3. Find the one which has a base nearest to your home.

4. Join this club and go along to meetings.

5. Find out about the different models over a period of time via the above club and it's members. This will allow you to come to an informed decision about which car/model is the one for you (if at all).

6. Buy a known car through the club you have joined (don't be tempted by deals on e-bay and dealers, very few are real deals...known cars are a far safer buy and are more likely to have been looked after), drive it and enjoy it.

Good luck,

Ruairidh

If you live near me I will give you a ride in my 28 Chummy,WARNING, it is nothing like the cars you have been used to!!! Ian Bristol area

Ian,

this type of pick up line is still outlawed in various countries around the world and there is certainly no place for it here! Keep yourself under control please, you've never even met the man!

Ruairidh

With only experience of A DB 6,and Mk 2 Jag to go by,best to play it safe and go for a Ruby van.

Thanks for the replies. I have thought of that, but I live in Switzerland and the closes club is on the German part, and that is still far, not to mention I can't speak the language!

There is something I didn't say which is actually relevant. I was thinking to have a car rebuilt and converted into an Ulster rep. I have found who does the bodywork in Holland and he chap who restored the Aston for me would put it all together.

Now, I am not a particularly good mechanic, in fact I have no real clue...

Danny,

If I give you the numbers of my off-shore account simply deposit, say £20,000 into it and I'll arrange the mechanic no problem.

Failing that you could get in touch with your local club "Austin-Freunde" in Zurich. Contact Martin on 01 363 6787.

Good luck,

Ruairidh

How very kind of you to offer £20'000 for my new project.

The little I have read so far often mentions the brakes. Are they really that bad? Is it really that bad they are that bad? Are there any straight forward conversions which can be done?

Re: Re: Owning an Austin Seven

If they were realy that bad,it seems unlikely that the 10's of thousands that still exist around the world would be as popular as they seem to be. I have been driving them for 43 years now,and as yet am unscathed. Go for it,what have you got to lose.?

Thats the spirit! and somehow what I was waiting to hear!

I will keep you all posted on how it all develops. Thanks for your help!

Hi if you live near Swansea I will give you a spin in my Ruby [

Switzerland, No problem! are you near Morges CH1110, Mail Keith Anderson on ka@kiloalpha.ch He has a Ruby you could see.

H&H classic auctions [www.classic-auctions.co.uk] sold a nice 'Ulster' in their sale at Duxford this year.

It was not an Ulster. It was a special with a Rolt body.

/Mac, I am near Morges, 5 minute drive from home. I will contact him on your behalf if thats ok.

Sorry about my English, not on your behalf, I meant I will mention you gave me his contact details.

A very 'Special' Ulster 'Special' whatever the body for £13200 GBP!!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

It was not an Ulster. It was a special with a Rolt body.

Delighted! It's a small Austin seven World.... Happy Christmas. Mac