Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Respoking Wheels

Anyone sucessfully done this for 19 inch wheels?
I've got some time on my hands and a need to rebuild a couple of 19" wheels and thought that at the very least it might be an education.
If I'm not put off by any negative comments where can I get the spokes/nipples?

Thanks

Charles

Re: Respoking Wheels

There is an excellent article by Ian Moorcraft at http://www.austinsevenfriends.com/Bruce/Wheel_respoke.htm

Charles,

Richards Brothers are probably worth contacting re spokes / nipples, see: www.richards-bros.com

Jeff

Re: Re: Respoking Wheels

I have just recived spokes from richard bros they were very helpfull i sent a broken spoke for a pattern

Charles, respoking wheels is no problem at all - IF you have a wooden former for the rim and hub.

We have one in the Cornwall Club and I have rebuilt 8 wheels so far, with no problems on the road afterwards.

I bought a minimum (+) order of spokes (200 per length/gauge) made to size which came out to 720 spokes + I had another 10 of each size (spare) total 750 spokes - the postman mentioned something about hernia's.

The jig is the important bit - I'm sure if Malcolm's reading this he should have soom further information, I can't remeber now If Ian's item was a copy of the Cornwall Clubs notes - Malcolm?

Sandy Croall

Re: Re: Respoking Wheels

The jig I made many years ago was not a copy of anything, at the time it seemed a logical way to build a wheel without the need for an expensive rotating device that the professionals had. I had plenty of wood and a bandsaw and had a jig in an hour!
The wheels I built on it are still in use and are still perfectly true. Happy New Year to all.

Hi Ian, yes that what ours (Cornwall A7 Club) are made of, wood, just needs accurate centring for the hub and rim and your away.

Sandy