Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rear refectors, change to lights?

I am trying to keep my ruby as close to original as possible but want to make sure it is safe in the modern world as well.

Whilst waiting for the battery charge today (hopefuly frst start for 9/10 years), I was contimplating whether the rear reflectors at the back of the car could be converted to rear lights and brake lights, i have found similar size lens from a motorbike that could be modified to fit in original placement, has anyone tried anything similar?

Re: Rear refectors, change to lights?

In order to conform to the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations, your car should be fitted with:

Two red rear position lamps,
Two red stop lamps
AND
Two red reflectors.

The surface area of each rear position lamp, reflector and stop lamp should be the metric equivalent of AT LEAST 2in², but the position lamp & stop lamp may be powered from the same bulb.

In effect this means that you should have 2sq in of rear lamp & 2 sq in of reflector on each side of your car.

Re: Re: Rear refectors, change to lights?

very useful, you seem to know your stuff.

Do you know the regulations for the front as well?

i know from other cars I have owned that if they were built like it then you normally only have to make minor mods.

Ca you still get daytime use mots, ro has this changed only to be accepted for race vehicles now?

Cheers

When I first put my special on the road it was MOT'd without lights. There was no endorsement as to "daylight", it was up to me not to use the car illegally. This was seven or eight years ago and I don't think things have changed.

Mind you, I found this very limiting, even in summer and soon fitted lights.

Regards, Stuart

MartinI'll leave this To Mr Rat as the term says he knows his stuff

However my input and Mr Rat will correct me i'm sure is this -
A light is a light - it shall not be a light for the benefits of an MOT when it is masked out - not wired or not indeed fitted however the car will require side lights ( White wing lights ) to indicate the width and presence on a road.
the only time the light is not required to be fitted under construction and use is that of date not requiring such a light, for instance prior to dim dip or main light regs.

Try and get that past a modern MOT tester tho !!!!
Your better off just sorting the lights......

Mr Rat I gave talks on this but I cant remeber now - so long ago since I was doing this over to you

Lights on vehicles is a subject which I had a good working knowledge of until I retired a few years ago. (I was an Inspector in the Traffic Department)

Lamps can be masked or removed, ie legally speaking not 'fitted' but don't forget that the rule applies to ALL or NONE. If you've got any lights 'fitted' then you have to have the whole package ie, front/rear position lamps, headlamps (matched pair & dippable) plus 2 rred reflectors and 2 stop lamps. Your front position lamps may be incorporated in the headlamps. For details regarding dimensions, heights, etc you need to look at the legislation (I haven't got a copy I'm just working from memory)

Further to Stuarts comment my first MoT for the TT car was issued with no lights and no wings.

Re: Re: Rear refectors, change to lights?

Correct me if I'm wrong but cars built without dippable headlights, stop lamps etc don't need them (legally that is)
On a reflective note, are rred reflectors twice as reflective?

Brian.... dipping headlamps, or non dipping headlamps which have their beams 'permanantly deflected downwards so as not to dazzle)- either way - a matched pair.

Stop lamps - see: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_17.htm

For period A7s - at least one - position (no requirement) (I stand corrected but I was working from memory which is a bit feded these days!)

You still need TWO rear position lamps and TWO reflectors

Reflectors (with or without a double rr!)

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_23.htm

Rear position lamps:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_15.htm