Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Half charge DEL dynamo

Can anyone help me to restore the half charge on a DEL dynamo? The internal resistor has packed in so I get full charge on both "summer" & "winter" settings. I know its possible to fit a resistor in series outside the dynamo, perhaps under the dash. A pal has given me a new resistor of the type he fitted to a '29 chummy some years ago which had the same problem. Trouble is, he can't remember how he did it and we can't figure how to wire it in. Anyone know?

Regards, Jonathan.

Re: Half charge DEL dynamo

I think the resistor should be fitted so that it is switched in series with the field winding to get ½ charge.

David

I also have a dynamo that has stopped its half charge, I know it could be repaired but often costly. to give half charge i normally drive with the side lights on, although this is a lazy answer to the problem. Resistors are wired in series. Does anyone know what resistor could be used to be wired externally to avoid a dynamo overhaul ?
Cheers

Think I've figured it. Wire between D+ and SH terminals on the switch panel.

Beware of people that give you resistors. They sometimes come and borrow flywheels

STEVE

Re: Re: Half charge DEL dynamo

Hi,

The resistor should be between 1.5 and 2.5 Ohms. I have the same problem and I have effectively 2.25 Ohms under the dash.Only use high wattage ceramic resistors and beware they do get warm. Mine are in a ceramic package and are bolted behind the cutout using the same bolt to fix it.

Regards

Chris