Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Removing Front Axle

Hi

Are there any tips out there for removing the front axle on my 1931 RM saloon? Order of removal of parts and any pitfalls would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Re: Removing Front Axle

Other than it is a swine of a job with the radiator on with big hands it is simplicity itself

Blimey you be spying on me I have started to take the axle off ''Crusty'' RM tonight quite simple I hope!! this is how I am going to do it.
Jack up car,support car/chassis on axle stands,take off brake cable,take off wheels,undo rear nut/bolt off axle bars,remove shocker arm nuts so that shocker will slide off , place jack under centre or axle,undo spring pivots,adjust jack as required whack off spring pivots.
Swear like hell if it does,nt work!! any other thoughts chums?
Chris

I assume you want to remove it as a complete unit - ie front spring an' all. In which case remove rad shell complete with rad which after draining coolant and removing top and bottom hoses is a straighforward job.

Everything is then nice and easy to get at removing the two U bolts and shocker mounting. Disconnect ancilliaries eg brake cable, steering tube etc and bobs your uncle

Futher to my last note I took the axle off today in about 1hr (not the spring that is still on the car)
Chris

Re: Re: Removing Front Axle

Many thanks for the comments and hints. Its the axle beam and stub axle I am interested in this time. I will leave the rad/spring alone as the rad is prone to leaking and was sealed with Radweld-dont want to tempt providence!
I'm taking time with these winter jobs as I am learning as I go along!

Regards

Chris