Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Front Brake Cable Adjustment

After another cold evening under the '31 RM, looking at adjusting the front brake cable length via the swivel pin screw adjustment, I realised that course adjustment is probably by rotating BK59 (front brake operating lever) on the cross shaft after slackening off the clamp bolt? Mine won't shift so I thought I had better ask the experts in case there is a cunning reason why this wont budge!!
Many Thanks

Chris

Re: Front Brake Cable Adjustment

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that the shaft has a groove that the bolt fits in meaning that it cannot be rotated

Hello Chris,
I agree with Brian I think you will find that the cross shaft is splined, so no adjustment there. If your front cable cannot be taken up by the swivel pin screw then best to replace with a new one.
Regards
John

Re: Re: Front Brake Cable Adjustment

If you do replace the front cable, get an adjustable one that allows adjustment, by lengthening or shortening the cable, at one end. You then have two forms of adjustment. Item 0239 at Seven Workshop.

STEVE

Many thanks for your most valuable information.
I couldnt find any info from my books on the subject, not even Woodrow.
I needed more cable length since I have changed the brake cams and levers so I will maybe get an adjustable front cable?

Again thanks

Chris

i to have just replaced the brake cams and levers and i think the cam flats are machined about 10 degrees out makeing the arms rotate forward too far (hence the apparent short cable)also the spring on backplate does not touch the arm in its rest position.

Chris. Dont forget the cams are 'handed' make sure that you have put them on the correct side otherwise the brake levers will not be at the correct angle

hi norman,i have mine had o/s and n/s stamped on them.on the austin seven clubs association web site there is a bit about the problems with new brake cams. http://www.a7ca.org/remanuspares.htm.