Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Carbon Footprint?

Picking up a point from 'that' other thread currently running - how DO you work out a carbon footprint?

And having worked it out - what is it?

What is the carbon footprint of a gallon of unleaded for instance?

Can any Austin-Seven-owning scientist give us some values for these matters.

Mike

Re: Carbon Footprint?

Burning petrol, oil, coal etc which are compounds of hydrogen and carbon (hydrocarbon), combines those elements with oxygen in the atmosphere to produce water (H20) and carbon dioxide (CO2). For every gallon of unleaded petrol burnt 10.45 kilograms of carbon dioxide is produced, so at 45 Mpg your seven is making 0.23 Kg (0.51Lb) of carbon dioxide per mile. Don't worry unlike British Airways you emit it at ground level to be absorbed by plants and turned back into carbon and oxygen in a process known as photosynthesis.

After working on my Sevens in the garage my wife has no problem working this out. According to the kitchen floor, each footprint is about 12 inches by 4!

Sorry I cannot offer a serious comment on the O.P. question, all I can say is that my Bayliss Thomas footprint is around 12 inches long x 4 inches wide. Its on exhibition every day in my garage, just behind the exhaust pipe, black and sooty, just as carbon should be.

At 45 mpg our Sevens produce 145g/Km which compares very well compares with Chelsea tractors at 200 to 250g/Km and my modern at 136g/km.

Don't miss out on the carbon footprints generated by making the bicycles and several generations of recycled cars since our lovely Austins were made.
The sheer mass of hydrocarbons bound up in modern transports outweighs the horsehair and leathercloth, too.
Stick to generating carbon handprints: far better for us. It ranks close to dog-walking for therapy and rarely leaves a poo on the path.