Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Back to our fave' subject - old cars!

Forgive me please for I talk of not an 7 but my Bayliss Thomas. My recent trips have resulted in carb' icing, now I have learnt that I should (have tp) stop the engine wait for ice to melt off and restart. After the initial episode the car runs just fine. Any way to resolve this little problem.

Re: Back to our fave' subject - old cars!

Absolutely

Do everyone a favour and don't use it.

Hi,

This subject was raised before. Can't you shield the carb intake from the underbonnet slipstream? Otherwise, a duct that aims warm air from the exhaust manifold area towards the carb intake is the 'Carb Heat' solution on piston-engine aircraft. As warm air is less dense than cold, performance will degrade when in use and revs will remain lower even after the icy obstruction clears. So, the ideal is to have a flap operated by Bowden cable, enabling you to select HOT AIR only when the risk of carb ice is present then blank it off again as soon as the problem disappears. Incidentally, it is the pressure change at the carb throat allied with the moisture present during humid weather that causes this - so it doesn't necessarily happen only on icy days.

I shall give it a go, getting warm air to circulate around the carb' that is, not Richards suggestion.

David, Richard's suggestion was closer to the mark than he realised. His hot air is just what you need, all you need to do now is find a nice spot for him and his bike under your bonnet !

The thought of having an eco-warrier within shouting distance of me or my car is worrisome indeed, but I do agree that perhaps the ice melting subjects are closely linked, Good spot!