Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Blockley Tyres

I stumbled across the site for the above from the Vintage Knowledge page. They do a 3.5" X 19" tyre in a 3 block pattern that seems to be identical to pre-war Dunlop tyres and the price is not much more than Avons (e.g. £55 each)

Does any one have any experience of these?

Re: Blockley Tyres

Brian,

I seem to recall David Howe mentioning on this forum some months ago that he was testing a set of Blockley tyres for the manufacturer.

Jeff

Yes have had them on the TT since last July they improve the handling out of all proportion compared with Avons.No sign of wander up to 85mph and more comfort over bumpy roads.
My only critism is they seem to have a lower profile compared with the contempory Dunlop Triple Studs.
That said they do look wonderful.

They do look lovely, on David's car in this picture.

Saving up for a set for my replica Ulster myself.

Re: Re: Blockley Tyres

Im trying to flog my avons to my dad so i can buy a set for my ulster rep!!

Hi folks,

On the subject of Blockleys: anyone any idea what was the earliest date such triple-stud pattern tyres were used, please?

Bryn

From the introduction of Well Based tyres in 1926 I would have thought. The only original ones I have seen are on the ex Neil Bruce Chummy.

Thanks for that.
(And what a prompt response it was, too ! )

Those original tyres must be like blocks of wood by now!

No experience yet with the Blockleys on our Austin, but I have used a few sets on my Bentley racer over the last seasons. They are very good, even in the wet, no wander and gave me a better, more predictable handling in the dry.
I hope, there is soon some spare money to put them on the 7.
They look very good, too - not as baloony (does this word exist ?) as the Dunlops.

Regards,
Ralf

Austin, No Neil's tyres were not hard they were still useable the car was stored in a dark space for over 30 years.

I appreciate this is a 4.00x 19 and not a 3.50 but does anyone have any experience of the Excelsior competition tyres.

http://tinyurl.com/3ahpqa

Charles

I happen to be trying Longstone Tyres three-block tread-pattern 3.50x19". They are very impressive, so far. If you need to try the price test, I'm sure Dougal Cawley will be happy to tell you.
I'm not connected to Longstones, but just a happy customer. The tyres look terrific, as do all the various three-block products. Oh, the price was very acceptable!

Thanks Jim

That's just what I wanted to hear.

Charles

There is a special offer for 3.50x19 Blockleys in Spring VSCC Bulletin £35 each or 4 for £100.

David,

can you post the contact details for this deal please, seems too good to miss out on.

Cheers

R

Blockley Tyres 01386 701717

Hopefully I can scrabble together enough for a set at that price! Then it's just a matter of changing the rear springs and cleaning up the 19" wheels.

Austin,

my father can re-build/coat wheels, may be of help see:

www.vintageaustinservices.co.uk

The click on "steering and raod wheels".

Cheers

R

p.s. Thanks for the number David.

He makes new A7 road springs also...

Thanks Ruairidh but dad has a rather large pile of "springs and things".

It's more a matter of time and space to work in.

Just spoken to Blockley.

You must be a VSCC member to qualify for the special prices and they advise you buy their specially designed inner tube to go with the tyre.

The tyre(with the VSCC discount), tube, Vat. and postage is coming in at £42.39 a wheel (postage would increase slightly if only buying one set (5 tyres), this price was on a quote for 15). This will increase by around £12 per wheel (my workings), without the discount.

They certainly look to be excellent tyres and improve the appearance of Sevens hugely.

Cheers

R

I will need to replace two of my 'swallow' saloon tyres this Summer. Do you think it would be OK to put the blockleys to the front and the still good treaded sidecar tyres to the rear? I don't want to discard good tyres for the sake of it!

Ruairidh, Don't doubt your maths but discounted price for 5 averages out at £27 whereas normal price is approx £55.

Hi David,

I'll check this out in the open with the prices I was given over the phone today:

15 Tyres (incl VAT) = £440.63 (that's £29.38 each)

15 Tubes (incl VAT) = £138.36 (that's £9.24 each)

Deleivery of above (to business address) = approx. £57 (that's £3.80 a tyre -but this will be more per tyre if you order less).

Grand total = £635.99 (that's £42.39 a tyre).

How did I do?

Sorry Ruairidh it was your earlier comment that the cost would be £12 per wheel extra without the discount ,all the other costs VAT ,delivery etc would be constant but the tyres are £27 instead of £55,saving £28 per wheel.David

Hi David,

the chap I spoke to told me that without the VSCC discount the tyres would be £35 + VAT (£6.13),pounds each (when buying at least 4 together), that makes them £41.13 which is £11.75, more, which is about £12..

If this isn't the case and they are normally £55 then it's an even better deal..

All good by my books,

cheers

R

R,Their normal listed price is £55.D

Blockley's normal price is £55+VAT = £64.63
Longstone's price is £56.40, including VAT.

David

I tried Longstones on the trials car and found them to be very good road tyres. They have firm walls and feel better than the softer-walled open treads we use in the mud. I very much liked the ride on farm tracks with pressures tried at 12lbs, 18lbs and 30lbs. We tried soggy pressures to test the rubber on broken Exmoor stones and the Longstones gave excellent traction combined with directional control and shock absorbing ride.
We run Cheng Shins on trials, because they give terrific grip at very low pressures (8-10lbs) conbined with a reduced rolling radius (and therefore lower forward speed for a given rpm). Neither Blockley 3.50x19 nor the similar Longstone have soft walls like the CS's.
Anyone tried 3.00x19's? Look at period photos of Austins. Many look narrower than the models in discussion.