Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
gearbox oil

Having drained the gearbox oil from my box I was stuck when it came to choosing the best oil to replace it with.I've had engine oil and Penrite Gearbox oil 30 suggested(but where can I get it in B'ham area). Is something else just as good?
The reason I drained it was because I was getting a lot of oil around clutch/flywheel and thought it must be overfull - it wasn't. Can anyone suggest what might be causing this?
All suggestions welcome. Richard

Re: gearbox oil

I have just wondered the same hing, after many years i have drained the gearbox (ruby arq), an interesting mess of gue muck and wondered best off the shelf oil to use.

Re: gearbox oil

Engine oil was what was recommended but of course assumed that that would be a 30 Grade. If you are not using that in your engine then a 30 grade gear oil would do the trick. Millers Oils do a Green Gear oil in about that grade and the other option is to splash out on some Castrol XL. It normally comes in a one gallon can but I believe that smaller quantities are available. An e-mail to Castrol Classic Oils will soon tell you who is your local stockist.

Re: Re: gearbox oil

Morris Oil's from Shrewsbury do a Straight 30.

Google them and ring their sales dept, they will tell you a local dealer with some in stock.

Very helpfull people.

Re: Re: Re: gearbox oil

This subject has been done to death oftentimes before, please read past postings. Essential that you DON'T use a detergent oil. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: Re: gearbox oil

Castrol X.L. at 7 Workshop. 01225 868696

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gearbox oil

I use a 30 grade engine oil...

The oil around the clutch etc is coming from the rear main bearing I would think? Modern seals are available, although the one I fitted is not great! The flywheel surface is probably not good enough to run on?
As long as its not pouring out then probably best left till the next engine rebuild.

Steve

p.s I have fabricated a little mobile drip tray that is permanently attached to the car underneath and it collects all these little drips

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gearbox oil

Another source of the oil found within the bell housing is the gearbox. The first motion shaft is machined all the way through along its centre line and is capped with a core plug close to where it picks up the third motion shaft. There could be an oil leak past the core plug.
Ron

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gearbox oil

Streethay Marina on the A38 between Lichfield, Staffs. and Alrewas stock Morris's Supreme 30 oil. I bought some from them last year.
Millenium Bearings in Lichfield can get straight differential oil, again I bought some from them not so long ago.

Best wishes,

Hugh

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gearbox oil

Thanks Hugh, that's just down the road. I'll be there tomorrow. Richard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gearbox oil

Austin recommended Castrol XL30 direct from Castrol Lubricants £14.33 per gallon delivered to your door, in a 25 litre drum.

This includes the Very Awful Tax, and probably a free tap.

Share one with your friends.

Mike