Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Damaged kingpin cap recess

I am about to fit Girling stub axles but have noticed that the recesses that take the core plug type caps for the king pins are quite badly damaged where they have been whacked in the past. I didn't notice this when I bought the stub axles. I hope I have included a link below to illustrate the damage:

What should I do? Just whack the new core plugs in anyway, or try to get the recesses restored? Or try to buy better ones?

Thanks

John

Re: Damaged kingpin cap recess

Sorry, messed up on the thumbnail last time.

Hi John,

if you contact my father, Ian, at:

iandunford@supanet.com

He may be able to help you cut new holes for the core plugs.

Good luck,

Ruairidh

Re: Re: Damaged kingpin cap recess

Gently tidy it/them up with a file and a scraper whilst you have it/them on the bench. Should not be a problem. The damage appears mainly cosmetic.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Damaged kingpin cap recess

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I'll try cleaning them up myself. I am used to working in wood but unfamiliar with metalworking, so didn't know what was possible.

If I get in a muddle with it, then I will contact your father, Ruairidh.

Thanks again

John

Re: Re: Re: Re: Damaged kingpin cap recess

John

Biggest trouble may be that later you will find they may "pop out" when you are greasing the kingpins. Mine weren't great and I found they leaked grease and fell out. The seat that the core plug goes onto needs to be pretty good and the core plug must be a tight fit. I considered using an end mill to clean them up, but was worried that I would make the recess too deep?

Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Damaged kingpin cap recess

I have always cleaned them up with an end mill in my drill press. You can cut the seat slightly deeper without causing any problems.

STEVE

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Damaged kingpin cap recess

If all else fails you could always tack weld it at say three points. Dont know what the purists would think but I have seen a few like this.

Dave Griffith

Could you hold the core plugs down with something like a G clamp if you were uneasy about blowing them out while you were greasing them? Can't face going into the garage to see if it would work (having been there a lot already today)!

Regards, Stuart

Re: Re: Damaged kingpin cap recess

Stuart

I find that a small cold chisel makes a good wedge to hold them in whilst greasing!

Charles

Re: Re: Re: Damaged kingpin cap recess

Again, thanks everybody for your helpful suggestions. I'll have a go at them this week.

John

Re: Re: Re: Re: Damaged kingpin cap recess

Some nice ideas on ways of holding them in.

The brake backplates will prevent G clamps being used, but a wedge or the weld tacks is interesting?

I will tidy mine up with the end mill one day and see how that goes!

Steve.