Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brooklands Advice

Hi, I'm trying to find out as much about the Gordon England Brooklands as I've a nice repro that I'm working on. Does anyone have any details on the carb that should be fitted to a 1925 model, I beleive it may have been a Solex bronze unit ? Any ideas or even where I can get one would be appreciated. Noticed a previous posting re Brooklands cylinder head, I thought the original cars had an alloy head but now I'm unsure. Any images or technical info would be great.
Links to some pics below - comments/suggestions good or bad appreciated. - Thanks
http://www.qds.uk.net/brooklands/xx%20engine.jpg
http://www.qds.uk.net/brooklands/xx6902%20complete.jpg
http://www.qds.uk.net/brooklands/xx6902%20dash.jpg
http://www.qds.uk.net/brooklands/xx6902%20rear.jpg

Re: Brooklands Advice

Hi, Later Brooklands were fitted with a 30mm Solex, choke 22, main jet 110, pilot jet 50 and a 47gram float!! For racing a 24 choke and 130 main jet!

We recently got a 30mm solex for our ulster...they are around! However jets usually mean one has to find a small drill to the correct sixe and solder the jets u have and drill to correct size! Over time you will have to repeat as they wear!!

PS early cars were fitted with twin Zeniths!

Hi Dave,

What a wonderful car! I can only guess that you have shares in Brasso!

Not sure if you have seen all the photos I have but I have just added some lovely ones of GE Brooklands, (at Brooklands) in the last day or so.

One I particularly like is this one, (the driver is looking terrified!)

All of the GE Brooklands photos are here.

There are a few more from 1927 to come and I haven't started looking earlier than that yet but I am sure there will be plenty!

Good luck with the car.

Hi Christopher, Thanks for the info on the carb, do you know if the Solex unit would have been bronze or alloy ? Dave

Hi Austin, thanks for the comments & the excellent picture. Please keep me updated if you do come across any more. Thanks again. PS think your right about the shares

Re: Re: Brooklands Advice

Dave, as far as i am aware would have been bronze!

The ulsters certainly is! If set up correctly should work perfectly well, the 12/50 Alvis I have works drives in has a larger Solex but seems to work well!!

Hi Austin, thanks for the comments & the excellent picture. Please keep me updated if you do come across any more. Thanks again, PS think your right about the shares

Hi Dave,

As you know, the car you have was built up by Tom Abernethy (it is the first of his bodies), he knows an awful lot about these cars and, I am sure, will help answer your questions. If you don't have his e-mail addres then mail me at the above and I will put him in touch with you.

I e-mailed John(Jof)Morgan back the other day to give him this info and the other stuff you were asking him about, did it get passed on to you?

Good luck with your quest...

Cheers

Ruairidh

Hi Ruairidh, I don't have any contact info for Tom so yes please forward his contact details. Not received anything back from John yet, guess he's been busy.
Thanks for the response, will hopefully meet up with the club at some point with xx6902 - Thanks Dave
(I've also sent a message to your email address.)

So what are the chances of this happening?

Your car has competition history! Found it today.

1926 London to Gloucester Trial

Fantastic you've made my day ! Will check out your website tonight for costs etc. Thanks Dave.

It's going to take me a day or two before it goes on the site properly. The reference you need is "Autocar Glass Plate A7000" if you want to get in touch sooner.

There may well be more of your car coming, (there is also XX 5590.)

hi dave i think they were fitted with twin cox atmos ? might be very wrong, fairly sure they didn't use a solex. the early solexes have barrel throttle, rather than butterfly tho.

Thanks Nick, don't suppose you've any pics or technical details or perhaps a complete carb in the back of your garage ? If you don't ask you ..........
Dave

Re: Re: Re: Brooklands Advice

Dave - I think you'll find the early Gordon England Brooklands had twin updraught 30HK Zeniths, then went to single updraught (from memory 30MOV) Solex. Can't recall any reference to them using Cox Atmos or other carbs. Contact me direct if you want different Choke/Jet etc settings for race or road. Good Luck, Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brooklands Advice

Thanks Bill, I'll keep hunting - you never know one might turn up somewhere. Dave

The Solex 30 MOV is reasonably common and is available with barrel throttle or butterfly throttle ,the EA Sports uses the buterfly not sure of the GE Brooklands.

Thanks David, still looking for one, hopefully one will turn up, Dave.