Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
OL 166

I have a photo of OL 166 competing in the "Victory Cup" trial in 1927, I can't find any more info about the car / driver yet though. It doesn't look like one of the Boulogne cars though. Could it have been that the number was re-used by the factory?

There is a car built as one of the "Boulogne Racers" on that reg now built as a replica by Barry Argent.

I noticed that the same reg. car was entered for the Scottish 6 day trial by W J Milton in 1925.

Re: OL 166

OL 166 was first used on the Boulogne works car called "Boomer" driven by Mr Cutler in 1923. The number was then taken off that car as it was stripped down for other uses. I think the number was put on an 1924 std sports that was then trialed. There is a photo of the car in the R. J.Wyatt "pictorial tribute" book. The ex Adli Halabi Boulogne replica car now owned by Ian Moore has the number now.
Hope thats of use.
Steve

Re: Re: OL 166

Steve - OL166 was used on a Seven even before the racer - check the photo of Austin's daughters (no, not Austin Harris !) with a 1922 Chummy. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Has anyone got photos of the Adli Halabi car under construction? In fact has anyone got any Boulogne Replica info apart from the stuff on John Sutton's site?

There was an article on the Tony Hutchins replica in an early Association mag.
Wasn't OL166 on the coupe with disc wheels with Irene and Zeta in it?

I don't think there has been a definative replica yet incorporating engine mods ,11 gall petrol tank ,supplimentary oil tank and pump etc.

Hello David,
Watch this space.....

Re: Re: Re: OL 166

David - not sure if this is answering your question, but any photos I recall seeing of Austin's daughters in disc-wheeled coupe show the car with a different number, not OL 166. Purely academic, but perhaps others may help with this? Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: Re: OL 166

See page 55 of the "Source Book" by Bryan Purves.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OL 166

Thanks, was well aware. But also well aware of dozens of errors in Source, and as Coupe has a different number plate I have to ask - if it was OL 166 converted, why wasn't OL 166 plate left on it ? Perhaps we'll never know. Cheers, Bill in Oz

In Wyatt's "Pictorial History" there are two pictures on the same page, the top one shows OL 166 as a chummy and the bottom one shows the Coupe (with what appears to be a different number plate).

Both photos appear to have been taken on the smae day and both contain said females...is it possible that the two pictures have merged in "our" memories, causing the mist of confusion??

Just a thought,

Cheers

R

Thanks R - I didn't elaborate before, but my thoughts exactly. Appears same cold weather (although I'm not sure on which day the English Summer occurred that year!), similar location, can't imagine Austin's daughters appearing at a later date both wearing exactly the same clothes. After 25 years of motorbody building I'd suggest the scuttles are slightly different, although have to admit may be trick of the light. As an aside, at some stage I recall someone suggesting elsewhere that Arthur Waite competed in the 1924 Colmore Cup Trial in a scoop-scuttled Chummy with OL 166 plate. This is incorrect, the number was OL 3155 (photo, The Autocar, 29/2/24), and the front axle tells you it was a current model. Cheers, Bill in Oz