Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin seven ulster steering column lengths, and gearbox?

Just wondering i am in the process of building up an ulster rep, and slightly confused by contradictory opinions on steering column lengths of the production ulster. Does anyone know? did they use a touring column (approx 25") or longer (approx 27") ?? sombody told me that if you use a standard column and wheel you end up scraping your knuckles on the widscreen? Also was the ulster produced initially with the earlier version of the 3spd ball change box with reversed gear change layout?

nick

Re: Austin seven ulster steering column lengths, and gearbox?

Nick The production EA had a standard length column and wheel.Problem came when a Bluemels wheel was fitted which is flat then the gap between the wheel and scuttle becomes tight.Thought this had been the subject of discussion on here before.

Sports gearboxes... All genuine ones I have seen have the conventional layout.

I have exactly this problem on my Ulster Rep., (it has a Bluemel steering wheel on it).

You soon get used to it.

Oddly I can't remember which way round the gears are! (I would have to sit in it first). It not the same as my (more) modern car though...

Good luck with it.

Nick,

I fitted a bluemels wheel to my work in progress last weekend, i will definately have the same problem as austin if i fit a full windscreen, still it looks the part. My car has standard column and 'ulsterised' steering box. (modified the angle rather than fitting a wedge)

Regards

Rob

It's an early ball change box that was previously in the "Black Car" with an 'Eltos' remote. 17:25 Gill Corliss 1st motion etc. 1st gear with the ball change is right and down.

Willie McKenzie is making smaller Bluemels steering wheels(15" I think).

These should solve the problems you've identified, and also, if like me, you only just fit under a standard wheel...my right knee is wedged firmly between the side of the car, bottom of the dashboard and side of the steering wheel. Takes me a while to straighten up again after an extended drive!

Cheers

R

But the real joy of a Bluemels wheel is its large diameter.

Only if it doesn't crush your n**s!

R!

Re: Re: Austin seven ulster steering column lengths, and gearbox?

This is actually quite a serious topic....

I would love to own a sports model, i.e Ulster or Nippy etc etc... I cannot ever own one because I have tried sitting in several and I am not able to sfaely drive any of them.
My legs jam against the steering wheel! I have driven a Nippy on an airfield and would not have safely driven it on a public road.

The steering wheel size and rake/position is more than just an originality issue. It can make the difference between owning and driving a car or not bothering.

May I add that I am not tall, about 5' 10" although I have filled out somewhat in the last few years.

My special is great because the wheel can go near enough were I feel like!

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Austin seven ulster steering column lengths, and gearbox?

Well I'm 6ft and 14 stone (+ a bit) and I fit in an Ulster with a 16inch Bluemels wheel. OK, the knuckles are a bit tight and you have to lower yourself in carefully but what the heck, when I was younger I had a couple of Mini's and they were never comfortable.

I agree with David about the 16" wheel; I wouldn't fancy a 15". However I do have a plot to make a 1.5" longer steering column one day to ease the knuckles. One day.

Charles

Re: Re: Re: Re: Austin seven ulster steering column lengths, and gearbox?

Today's bit of useless trivia. As far as I have found, and supported by a couple of people employed by the Works, EAs were only supplied with the standard splined steering wheel and column. (Same as you couldn't order one with cycle wings - you took delivery of the full-winged job and modifiied it yourself). Like steering wheels on ALL Austin Sevens (including, I think, the first 1922 4-bladed job) they were 15" diameter. Bluemels approached competitors at Brooklands etc and offered free 16" (with choice of colour including red) wheels provided they could use any success in their advertising. Most (including Waite, the Works boys & competing privateers) accepted, but anyone who took delivery of a production EA had to go buy a Blumel as an after-market extra. So it surprises why people want one on their replicas. Most people with replicas will be claiming in a few year's time - if not already on this site - that their's is real ["My Ulster"], or the next owner will. Bearing in mind the difficulty in driving with one fitted, why bother? No wonder I can't get a reasonably-priced Bluemel for a Nippy replica, all you lot are purloining them ! Good Luck to you. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Was the splined Bluemels 15" - 3 spoke, slightly dished wheel with the smooth checkerboard pattern detailing to the inner and outer faces of the rim fitted to any particular A7 model or was it just a contemporary after-market accessory?

Jeff

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Austin seven ulster steering column lengths, and gearbox?

Bill

For the record:
I bought my replica 16" Bluemels from Willie MacKenzie. It's fitted to my reproduction Ulster (a car that originally left the works as a blue Chummy). The only piece of the car that has any sports provenance is the aero screen that came from a genuine Ulster (originally blown) that was first registered to Artur Waite. However I can't say that the screen was there when Waite owned the car but it's the nearest to any period history that I can claim!

Charles

Steve, I am surprised you didn't fit a Nippy. The only one I ever had trouble with was that of my late friend Albert and that was because he had fitted a Ruby seat squab, which brings one's thighs about 4" closer to the wheel. Should be a thin flat cushion as in the Ulster. I take it the seat was as far back as possible (you'll need a spanner).

Next Ulster you are allowed near, try it without the seat squab. You could always make a thinner one and I have tall friends who do just that.

Regards, Stuart

Fair comments chaps.

I didnt really fiddle with the seating position much to be honest, and the squabs could have been incorrect I suppose? Perhaps I'm getting creaky a bit to early as I approach middle age!!

For the record I have driven Minis (proper ones) and quite liked the go kart position, although my great work boots caused trouble with the pedals!

Subject is slightly irrelevant at the moment as I'm afraid my bills and debts add up to about the cost of a tatty Ulster!!

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Austin seven ulster steering column lengths, and gearbox?

Back to subject of different steering columb lenths I drive a cambridge special and the steering wheel is very close to the dash, the wheel does need to be back at least 2 inches to save me taking skin of my knuckles. any one out there have a compleat unit
Jon

Jon, if you're not too fussy about appearance, would a Ruby wheel solve the problem?

Regards, Stuart

I understand what your saying, but I have a nice wooden rim with alloy spokes which I was hoping to keep.
Jon.