Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Towing dollies

Has anyone had experience of using a towing dolly to transport an A7? I'm referring to the A-frame type of dolly that is clamped to the front axle of the drawn car, not the type with wheels.See Ebay UK item 150219325085 for example.
I recall seeing a trails car drawn by a Bentley using a similar device at the Chobham Trials years ago.

Re: Towing dollies

Hi Barry

Unfortunately unless you are an car recovery pro' these items are illegal for use by the general public.
You may get away with it and apparently a lot of BiB turn a blind eye but one day the luck runs out. I would spend the extra and buy a small trailer.

Re: Re: Towing dollies

Morning Berry, I have towed with an "A" frame dolly one thing you have make sure is that the chains are very secure, if not one will come off and you will end up haveing a jack-knife effect(I speak from experience.
Jon.

Buy the way I now have a trailer. Jon

Hi,
My car came with an tubular A frame with towing ball attached.
It is attached to the front axle with U bolts and I was told to disconnect the steering drag link before use for obvious reasons!
The owner had it professionally made from tubular steel and it was painted well.
I contacted my A7 insurance company about its use and they agreed it would be covered but would prefer a trailer.
It had been used by the previous owner I was told and it worked well. Top speed A7 speed ie 30/40 mph. Trailer board would have to be used of course with chain backup connection(I think thats law now)

Interested to hear comments on it.

Chris

Apparently there's an article regarding towing on 'A' frames on the FBHVC website. It suggests that regulations 19 and 22 of the Construction and Use Regulations of 1986 (as amended) allow for Broken Down Vehicles Only to be recovered in this way and only if the vehicle in question actually broke down during the course of a journey. A maximum speed limit of 20 mph is imposed for travel on ordinary roads and 40 mph on motorways. The C&U regulations treat vehicles connected by an 'A' frame as a towing vehicle and trailer - the towed car therefore becomes a trailer in the eyes of the law and must therefore comply with the normal requirements of a trailer - i.e. trailers over 750 kg gross must have brakes that are either operated directly from the towing vehicle or that operate on the overrun. Un-braked trailers may not exceed 50% of the gross mass of the towing vehicle. A device that applies the brakes on a trailer if it should become detached from the towing vehicle is required on trailers (gross weight of towed car and 'A' frame) above 1500 kg. The lights on the rear of the towed vehicle must also comply with trailer regulations including warning reflective triangles and towing vehicle registration plate. Apparently a number of members of FBHVC affiliated clubs have had a brush with the law as a result of regularly 'A' framing their non-broken down vintage cars to and from rallies and events, prompting the FBHVC to issue a warning. So David is pretty much correct in what he says.

Jeff.

Barry talks about towing dollies and having seen one in use behind a Bentley at the Chobham trials a few years ago. The Bentley belonged to Bert Batten who also built the trials Austin Seven that was towed behind. I now own this seven special and the towing dolly. I gave up using it because on tightish corners it dragged the tyres of the special sideways rather than lead them and could leave a trail of rubber on the road! Mike F.