Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Smokers hatch

The little hatch on my car has been fitted the wrong way around, the front opens into the wind! I undid the screws holding it in place but it would'nt budge, although I did'nt try any real effort for fear of damaging the part or roof. Any advise on how these things are generally fitted please.

Also I understand that my car (Swallow saloon)would have been fitted with two ashtrays, advise sought on type and location within the car please.
Thank you
David.

Re: Smokers hatch

When I put a new blue vinyl roof on my RP saloon 30 years ago I secured the hatch with bitumen (the sort you use on roofing felt etc) and screws. Neither the roof or the hatch ever leaked. I wouldn't like to try and remove it now but it could probably be gently eased off.
Smokers Hatch 1934 RP Standard
Regards
Andy

Thanks Andy, I'm suffering from a lack of confidence so think I shall live with my smokers hatch back to front, at least for now. If I try to lift it off I can see that I will end up with an perpetually leaking roof.

My Smokers Hatch is held in place with screws and presumably bitumen, The car was striped and repainted some 10 years ago - before I bought it - although the hatch was left in place (as were the semaphore indicators, door handles etc. etc.).

I would not like to try and take it off as the whole roof would need repainting - BUT the roof is metal, not fabric.

Sometimes you see the bulkhead side vents facing the wrong way too.

Sandy

Re: Re: Smokers hatch

Sandy,

You said
"......Sometimes you see the bulkhead side vents facing the wrong way too."

Go on........

Mike

There have been times when I wished our scuttle vents opened forwards, in hot weather the footwell gets very hot.

Absolutely Dave, mine do face forwards. I make no apology! It is quite delightful on a hot sultry day.

If they were made to face backwards Herbert would not have gone to the trouble of putting a grille inside them to keep out the scooped-up bumble bees.

All a bit like the 'pointy-downwards' door handles arguement. So far as I can establish this only shows that the original dealership was not doing it's job properly. The handles were put downwards in an effort to stop getting caught up on suspended cables on the production line, (early H&S if you like) and were supposed to be correctly repositioned by the dealer prior to delivery.

Mike

Grill ?????????

It looks like the one on your car are totally non-standard with grills on them, unless someone knows better ?

Never mind, if they do the job that you want then it should be OK by us.

Call it perforated metal if you don't like grille.

Thanks for the kind wishes Malcolm, yes they do it for me.

Mike