Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
???

Has anyone ever seen one? Ebay 140210399101 I am sure I have never seen anything like it on a Nippy in the metal or in period pics.

Re: ???

Hi Ian,

There was a chap some time ago who made up a "Nippy" Badge and took some sepia-style photos of it on his nippy whilst he was dressed up in period clothes beside it.

He claimed the photo was of his father and that all Nippys had "Nippy Badges" on them originally. Soon some other badges turned up and people started to "claim" they had found original badges in their garages...at this point he came clean with his little jape and said badges were removed as quickly as they appeared. Red faces all round!

I don't think thi is one of the badges created as they were more like the "Austin" Script.

Doesn't answer your question but it's a good story...

Cheers

Ruairidh

Re: Re: ???

Hi,
Chris Oliver has a similar Nippy badge on the boot of his '36 Nippy. It was on the car when he got it many years back and had a patina consistant with age. I haven't a photo but from memory seems to have been cut from sheet and chromed. The ebay one looks like a casting? His is well made with nicely shaped Art Deco letters in a similar style to the ebay one.

When he restored the car in the seventies/eighties he was faced with the quandry of either having two holes in the boot lid to deal with or refit the badge. It looked part of the cars background , so it's still fitted.

Was this a period 'boy racer' type badge? Both of them have a thirties style and look OK to me?

Dave

Re: ???

Many years ago, before my time I should add, the waitresses in the Lyons 'Corner Houses' were called 'Nippys', not sure how they would have screwed the badge on though !

Maybe the badge comes from a door etc within one of the cafe where the 'Nippys' had there lockers for their street clothes. Just a thought !

Re: Re: ???

A good thought, although having done a fair amount of signwriting I'd say the lettering and spacing suggests an amateur-made thing. That in turn prompts me to ask if it was indeed a period item as things were done extremely well in those times. However, not important - if that's what the owner wants on his car, that's his prerogative. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: ???

It's not from a Norman Nippy moped is it? (1960's).