Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brake pedal

A bit of guidance please chaps and chapesses...

I have searched Doug Woodrow's manual etc but cannot find anything about the correct fitment of the brake pedal to the shaft on which it pivots. I found the nut to be loose but on tightening it the pedal binds on the shaft. There is a thin flat washer between inner face of the pedal shaft and where it seats but no washer under the nut. I would have thought it needs a lockwasher? However the main problem is the binding. Can someone please tell me the correct setup? Nick

Re: Brake pedal

The nut should tighten onto the shoulder of the pedal pivot. If the pedal has excessive side clearance then shims should be added to take this up. The aim is to have the minimum side clearance with no restriction to rotation of the pedal with the nut tight aainst the shoulder.

Re: Brake pedal

Thanks Dave, I'm grateful. Your explanation set me on the right track. I removed the superfluous inner washer and could just feel the shoulder of the pivot protruding beyond the outer face of the pedal eye. However, with the nut fully tight the pedal would not rotate. Had a look at the face of the nut and found that it had been cut into by the shoulder of the pivot. Refaced the nut and now it works a treat.