Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tourer Query

Good Evening Everyone,

I was wondering if people could prvide me with some assistance.

I had always assumed that my tourer was a 1932 AH tourer. Passing the time I was taking another look through the 'Austin Seven Source Book' and noticed that the door top to AH tourer appeared to have a flat top to the door whereas mine (as you can see in the picture) has a curved sweep to the front of the door top.

I also took her to the Sunday morning meet on the Isle of Wight and comments were raised as to the curved door top in comparison to a 1932 AJ tourer.

Is there anyone reading this who has any further ideas as to whether she is an AH tourer and if not any ideas as to what she was/is.

Apologies for such a long post.

Thank you

Nathan

Austin

Re: Tourer Query

Nathan has your tourer a scuttle or rear petrol tank?
in 1932 austins done many change overs! and yours could be one of them!
Jon.

Hi Nathan,

I would suggest that your car is a cut-down saloon. I've worked on a couple of cars like this.

Looks to have been done nicely.

Cheers

Ruairidh

Re: Re: Tourer Query

Would there be enough ‘meat’ on a Box saloon door to get that large sweep on the forward edge? Looks very well done.

Re: Re: Re: Tourer Query

I would say definitely a cut-down RP Saloon having just had a quick look at my RP and my AK tourer. The further evidence is in the shape of the scuttle and the vertical frame for the screen. On Nathan's car the raised portion under the frame should not exist as this is where the frame is normally fixed. This causes the frame to be forshortened and be a non standard shape. Also, the shape of the top of the scuttles differ between these models with a bigger upsweep on the Box. That's why the leading edge of the door has a corresponding upward sweep.
Vey nicely done and fun to have a car with its own personality and history!!
Ron

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tourer Query

Everyone,

Thanks for all of the comments and information so far.

I am intrigued now and would love to find out more, if she was originally a box saloon and when the conversion was done etc.

I did discover a 1970's copy of a Bristol Austin Seven Owners Club stapled underneath the passengers seat if that helps.

(I guess I will also have to stop calling her an AH tourer and come up with a suitable name.....)

Thanks

Nathan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tourer Query

Nathan, On the center tunnel just behind the handbreak, there should be letters and numbers pressed into the metal, that should be able to let you know if it`s RN, RP or infact AH.(under the carpet)good hunting!!!!!
Jon.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tourer Query

Nathan, your car is in the Association Register as a RN Saloon 07/07/1932 and is listed as being in the A7OC

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tourer Query

Ian,

Thanks for your assistance.

I have copies of the logbook from 1980 onwards and they state that she was first registered on 30th July 1932.

On the log book submitted by the registered keeper in 1980 she was stated as a 'Tourer' in the Type/Model Section and as a 'Saloon' in the Type of body Section......

Looking back at some of the paperwork it appears that Malcolm Bonar in the 1990's so perhaps he might remember anything salient.

Thanks again everyone.

Nathan

Interesting this. I've got a similar project on at the moment converting a(n) RM saloon. All chassis work and mechanical work completed. All metal work on the body completed. Hopefully painting and trimming will be done when the weather warms up. Making a hood may be problematical. I've used the front end as it was in good nick. I hated cutting the doors down.
I've always referred to her as a 'half saloon', and just in case you think I have butchered a perfectly good RM, here's a pic of her as acquired (doors included) in 2006.

Half saloon

Might be able to join in some of the SA7C do's this year!
Dave

Dave,

It looks like a very interesting project you have on your hands.

Nathan

I had a cutdown 1930 saloon once (reg SS4757).
Nice car but lacked strength in the floor pan and the doors had a habit of opening on bumpy roundabouts. Maybe it was a tadge rusty aswell!

Charles