Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A question of timing

I have a problem with pinking, or at least I think I do, on my '33 box. My engine was partially rebuilt about 500 miles ago to replace 2 broken rings and regrind the valves. Ignition appeared a little retarded according to a knowledgable A7 club member so I reset it so that the old position of fully advanced on the hand control was now centre. This worked, by moving the hand control to fuily advanced top speed was up by 8mph and the engine felt smoother and running well. But in the last 50 miles it has started pinking with ignition hand control set anywhere above centre, where it does not pink, but again feels retarded and sluggish at anything over 10mph. Hopefully unrelated but I have had to tighten head studs as they were about 16lb with one weeping and bubbling oil. Surely it does not need decarburising after 500 miles? Any ideas apreciated for someone still trying to learn the basics of A7 ownership?

Re: A question of timing

Andy, I had a similar problem after replacing the main bearings in what could best be described a 'well worn' engine. Using REDEX seems to have cured it, though I suspect my problem is the worn throttle spindle on my carb. My engine only pinks at high revs, I assume it is leaning out hence the pinking.

Oh how stupid do I feel
Played around last night as was determined to sort it out and, to cut an embarrassing story short, the pinking wasn't pinking at all. It was the sleeve of the starter handle jingling on the handle itself. It only came on with the ignition advanced because it needed the higher revs and resonance to jingle. One cable tie later, and hey presto, no more 'pinking'

Re: Re: A question of timing

Oh Andy how honest you are!
Most of us would kept quiet, well now you know what a seven engine sounds like on full chat, you see,it wasn't pinking it was just talking to you.
Regards
John

Re: Re: Re: A question of timing

And Andy, you'd be surprised how many claimed they had rear crankshaft bearing noises, or from the clutch, actual noise coming from the other end - the crankhandle. Cheers, Bill in Oz

hmm, I find honesty is always the best policy.
All I need to do now is track down the other strange noise which has developed. This one is only when going along and lifting off quickly when there is a sort of clunking (not a heavy metal clunk just a light catching) as if metallic slack is being caught. I had somewone bending down whilst I was driving along and it seems to be clutch/grearbox (ie rear of engine) sourced (car had new clutch, mousertrap springs and fabric coupling a few months ago).
If I can get rid of that one then I am set for the sunmmer

Re: Re: A question of timing

Sounds like a loose torque tube anchor.

STEVE

Thanks Steve, I will check that,

That is suely one of the most reconizable of all Austin Seven noises "ferrule chatter" as one of my friends puts it (starting handle ferrule, that is!)