Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
kingpin help

Hi All,
Have new kingpins, have car jacked up, have wheel off, open manual first 5 stages i under stand,but then it tells me how to pull the hub apart, why ? searched the archive,no joy, can some kind soul tell me how to change my kingpins, the easy way, thank you Dai.

Re: kingpin help

Taking the hub bearings and shoes off will make the stub axle a lot easier to handle when working on it to fit new king pin bushes and refit it back on the axle.

Don't forget that the brake cam spindle gets its lubrication from the excess grease at the bottom of the king pin. After you ream the king pin bushes, you need to wash the swarf out which means you need to remove the brake cam. To remove the cam you must first remove the shoes and the shoes are almost impossible to remove and replace without first removing the hub and bearings.

Removing the hub with bearings is quite easy and well worth doing if only to reduce the weight and make the hub easier to handle.

Martin

Re: Re: kingpin help

If you are changeing your king-pins because the wheels wobble this will probably not solve the problem.See my website,www.VintageAustinServices.co.uk for further clarification.

Re: Re: Re: kingpin help

Dai - King-pin problems may have not been explained to you before, but Ian's right. Unless the front end has been allowed to slog around loose for many miles, you may not find much wear in the old kingpins at all - it's much more likely that the "holes" have belled out and worn. This can only be cured by shrinking, even an additional build up of weld where it matters (remember there's not a lot of thickness there) and careful reaming - all of which means you have to pull everything apart. Good Luck. Cheers, Bill in Oz

I looked at your post and saw you really needed more help? To replace the king pins without special tools you will have to pull off the hubs. If you don't want to repack them with grease and replace the seal the quick way is to remove the split pin on the castilated retaining nut ,remove it, and usuing a hub puller remove the hub assy. complete. Remove the shoes. Almost certainly the brake cam and bush will be shot.Remove them as ,without special extractor .you will have to drift the pin upwards through the hole you will find that was blocked by the bush. you will previousely have loosened the king pin clamp cotter. You cannot remove this until the pin is out. You can put the stub axle assy. in a vice. it is then possible to drift out the bushes. In the case of Late stubs it is obviousely much simpler. The bushes can be squeezed in using the big vice jawes. Reaming: the pin is 1/2inch ,and the bottom bush is of course blind ,so you really need a special reamer,as the convenional straight reamer is tapered so the bottom bush won't be done properly. Your local pro. a7 Man will have one. I doubt that a regular machine shop will have it. so this is the only job you cant do. with regard to brake cam lubrication. what should be done is a small hole should be drilled so the grease can enter via the bottom bush. I theory great, in practice fraught with problems. When you grease the pins the grease is forced in the top chamber below the grease plug down the centre of the pin and out through the hole in the side ofthe pin to lube , and then on to the cam bush, what happens eventually is the grease is squeezed through both ends of this bush and will end up on the brake shoes! SO I dont drill it. I oil it externally,regularly . It works for me. To check if there is wear in the axle beam eye before you start try tightening the clamp bolt .if it disappears it is worn.

Hi All,
Thank you all for your help ,job now done,
Mac i have a set of reamers,so my self and friend David did the job, with help ,from the man on the phone Mr Cochrane, thank you Mr Cochrane, you are very patient, again thank you all, MOT next week, fingers crossed,
Cheers Dai.