Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
bowdenex brakes

Hi All,
while doing my kingpin i found it very hard to remove the bowdenex brake cable, removed pin from the brake lever no problem, but the pin/stud holding the cable in place on the back plate,which it passes through at the point where the outer cable covering stops, and the return spring, appears to be solid, which involed twisting the whole axle/hub to get it off,the other side appears the same, is this right, or are they seized up? sould i be able to turn the pin/stud with out turning the cable?.
thanks in advance Dai.

Re: bowdenex brakes

You may decide to dispence with the Bowdenex system,for which parts are in short supply,and revert to the original,which with modern high friction brake material,are as good as it gets,{without hydraulics.]

You may well find the Bowdenex stop pillars are threaded into the backplate.

Regards, Stuart

Dai,
All I've come across have a nut behind the shoes and the pillar then knocks out from that side. If it's really stuck you could diconnect the other end?

While its off get the inner cable nice and free - they're usually very stiff or siezed. DON'T grease the outer cable at the nipple in the middle, oil is the best lubricant. See some more tips on Bowdenex on the Speedex site brakes page.
http://speedexa7.users.btopenworld.com/index_files/Page2288.htm

Dave

Hi All,
yes the Stop Pillars are theaded into the back plate, are they solid? or are mine seized?, i have always greased my cables , as when i got the car the nipples on the cables were covered in grease, but have always worked fine.
Cheers Dai.

Dai, if I understand your question correctly the stop pillars, including the threaded portion, are machined from one piece of bar. I suspect yours are corroded into the stub/backplate. If you must remove them, sounds like the usual routine, heat etc. and probably rotate the stub axle once the kingpin's extracted.

Regards, Stuart

Hi Stuart,
no they came out fairly easy, but i had to rotate the hub to undo them,as they were held in place by the brake cables, which is why i wondered if they sould be in 2 or 3 parts, i am thing of drilling the hole in the back plate a little bigger and just fitting a nut to the stop pin, i think there will be anoth thead,
cheers Dai.ps i hope this clearer then it sounds to me.

Understood! I think the hole is what most folks do. It can be awkward if you particularly want the hole in the stop directly above the brake lever so the cable run is straight. You may have to put a washer or two between backplate and stop and then you may be short of thread.

Earlier versions were rather more user friendly

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

You can lift the cable out through the slot in the stop. All a bit more costly to produce, of course.

Regards, Stuart

Sorry Mike, should have read your "how to"!

S.

Re: Re: bowdenex brakes

Fine by me Stewart, you got there in the end. That's all that matters.

Mike