Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Stress cracks

I'm not overly concerned but I have noticed some coachwork cracking, mainly this is at the top front corners adbutting to the roof. I have read somewhere that the Swallow saloon body is prone to a little movement and assume that this is what has happened / happening here. Having polished the car with one of the less expensive polishes the cracks are now filled with the dry white powder paste. I will remove the gunge with a cotten bud and white spirit.
My debate point is should I simply leave the minor cracking or fill them with some sort of body filler or other suggestions please.

Re: Stress cracks

I have not made the discription of the location of the cracks clear, they are actually on the roof section corners.

Re: Re: Stress cracks

David, I am afraid that stress cracks on a highly finished wooden framed body are something you will have to live with, I believe that modern two packs are even worse in this respect as they tend to be thicker and at the same time less resilient to any movement. The body of your car would have had a certain amount of movement when it was brand new, so don’t expect too much at 70+ tears old.

Re: Stress cracks

Thanks for info' Ian, your reply confirms my concern. As you suggest I shall have to live with it, I have seen many other vintage coachbuilt bodies also displaying stress crack in the paint. As I mentioned I shall clean out the white powder from the cracks and perhaps dibble in some paint to stop water getting in.