Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Beaulieu 2008

A7OC mag says Rally will be on the tarmac again this year can this be right?I for one would seriously need to consider attending if that were the case.

Re: Beaulieu 2008

Is this the beginning of the end for Beaulieu? Imagine what it will be like if it is a really hot day on black tarmac. Is it because something more lucrative is being held on ‘A’ field?

As Beaulieu rally organiser for the third year running, I would like to make a few points clear:

1. The rally will be on its usual rally field, ie grass not tarmac.

2. The rally was on tarmac last year simply because of the exceptional rain and floods in the week or two before the rally. In the week of the rally, Beaulieu sensibly suggested that we could hold our rally on the tarmac arena, as the field was waterlogged. In the circumstances, it worked very well. I had several thank-you letters compared with only one the previous year.

3. The rally will be a week earlier than usual (on 29 June) because Beaulieu have a major motorcycle event on our usual weekend (1st Sunday in July). I considered alternative venues for the usual weekend but none was suitable. Dorset A7C kindly agreed to re-arrange one of their events to avoid a clash of dates.

4. The rally this year will focus on restoration, in particular because we have (I believe) the largest A7 autojumble in the UK.

5. I hope to see our regulars as well as owners of other vinatge and pre-1960 cars.

6. I have a full-time job so am out from 7am to 7pm. I fit in Beaulieu organisation with other family and voluntary activities. Together with Mike Griffiths and other willing volunteers, we do our humble best to give everyone an enjoyable time.

Happy Sevening,

Ian

Grass or tarmac - I'll be there. Great, fun weekend, and thanks to all those who give up their time to organise it!

Nick

Beaulieu 2008

Thank you Nick. It's kind words like this that keep me (and other rally organisers) going. People don't realise how energy-sapping it can be to read grumbles, gripes and misleading information (eg the latest A7OC magazine cobblers).
Kind regards,
Ian

Re: Re: Beaulieu 2008

Ian,

Very relieved to see you posting above, and thanks for your rapid response to the point made. However, a look at the Beaulieu website shows the following entries under 'Events'.

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/motormuseum/events.cfm

National Mini Cooper Day
Beaulieu Event Fields
Sunday 8th June 2008

And

Austin 750 Rally
The National Motor Museum Arena
Sunday 29th June 2008

The implication here, surely, is that Beaulieu might have it in their diary that Minis are in the field whilst the Austins are on the parade ground.

I am sure that we would all sleep happier in our beds if you were to check with them and come back to us. Maybe it would be good if they altered their website. I did raise this some weeks ago when I first spotted it.

Meanwhile, more strength to your elbow, and many thanks for the effort that goes into the organisation.

Mike

Thanks Ian for putting us in the picture, most people I have spoken to have also been under the impression that this years rally would be on the hard standing as it was last year, we assumed it may have been something to do with the dreaded ‘health and safety/risk assessments’. I think this needs to be conveyed wider than this forum, will do my best to inform in my area. Many thanks for all the hard work. Ian M

Am very pleased to hear it will be on the field I will be there.

Re: Re: Beaulieu 2008

Even if it was in Hellman province I would be there
Chris
ps Ian do you want Beijing/Paris A7 on display?

Beaulieu 2008 is on the field

I have today confirmed with Beaulieu that the rally will be on the field, not the tarmac area. They wll change their website accordingly. I can now see that the misunderstanding arose from the incorrect details on their website and I am sorry for my grumpy comment about the information which appeared in the A7OC magazine. Thanks to everyone who pointed this out to me.

Chris P: I would love to see the Peking-Paris A7s there, although isn't it a bit of a long trek to Beaulieu?

Re: Beaulieu 2008 is on the field

Good on you Ian.

Thanks very much for sorting that out - made my day.

Sending off my entry this morning.

Mike