Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Strange 'C' cab van

Strange looking van on Ebay (270220416684) I'm no expert but something looks amiss to me. Anybody know of this particular van?

Re: Strange 'C' cab van

It is listed in the Chassis Reg and in the A7OC Vehicle Index Register as 1934 Van. Clearly a repro body. Last seen with a previous owner and with different livery at an A7OC Kent Centre meeting 2 or 3 years ago. I notice the advertiser has omitted all details on the spec. list but still has attracted, at last sight, 10 bids.

So its not the correct style of body for a 1934 example. I have also seen the other van listed at the moment, its a bit weather worn but it looks 'correct' at least from the comfort of my armchair.

Hi David,

Looks odd because being on a 1934 chassis it's LWB. All original 'C' type cab vans were on SWB chassis. If the vehicle originally was a van in 1934 then the body should have been in the 1932 to 1934 RP van style - see photos in Source Book - with RP car type front doors and oblong windowed / twin louvred rear doors etc. Probably a useful vehicle for purely promotional purposes, although I'd much prefer it if it had its original style of body.

Jeff.

Re: Re: Strange 'C' cab van

I will have to agree with dave waller that I have also seen this Special and have never known a "c" shape cab on a LWB chassis,But what do I know I have only a 1923 van, this vehicle is what ever the owner wants to call it!!

Re: Re: Re: Strange 'C' cab van

I'm building a "C" cab type pick up on a long wheel base chassis. It is definitely a special and not a repro or replica.
I use the term special for anything with a different body, even the so called Ulsters are often just very nice specials!!

Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Strange 'C' cab van

Hi Steve. Some years ago (funny, nearly all my contributions start off that way) I helped a good friend build such a special - a pick-up on long chassis. It has a C type cab, the tray is long enough to permit a (under floor) storage box behind the axle, rear panel of tray has Austin embossed into it, etc. If this Seven gives you any ideas or is of any help, let's know and I'll get some photos taken for you. Incidentally I've navigated in it on a trial and not only does it go like a rocket, but handles very well. Some Readers may not be aware that in Australia Sevens were offered in pick-up version from new, starting in the late 20s, up to and including the Ruby models. Cheers, Bill in Oz