Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
oil..again

Hi everyone
I contacted morris this morning to ask for their comment on rear axle oils and, as it supported some (use D140), but contradicted other (use GL4 spec), advice here, I thought it might be interesting to pass it on...

" the use of both GL-5 and GL-4 oils are not recommended for differentials on vehicles of this age. Oils of this performance level did not appear till the late 60`s, early 70's and there use can be detrimental to some of the metallurgy used at the time..

Castrol D140 was a non EP grade against which we would and have recommended AG140. Axles of this era were oil lubricated not additive lubricated and therefore AG140 will be more than suitable for your application."

Re: oil..again

I agree about AG140, which is what I use. I have understood for many years that any EP grade oil has additives which attack bronze.

Re: Re: oil..again

Sorry for sounding like a grumpy old Sevener, but I do wish that this site had an automatic means of posting up a "NO GO" to anything on oil for Austin Sevens, then immediately directing enquirers to first READING the many, many, many submissions on this subject already recorded. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: oil..again

Yep.

Mike

Re: oil..again

True enough Bill, on the other side tho' its an easy introduction for us newer custodians to 'meet' the 'establishment'for a direct conversation and reassurance. After all I would imagine that every possible scenario to cover 7s has been covered at some point on this board or other.
Oilright

Re: Re: oil..again

my apologies for clogging up the forum with 'old' subjects. I just thought it might be interesting to hear that the makers of the oil were disagreeing with opinion expressed here, specifically in that oil being recomended was actually potentially as harmful as oil being warned away from. That bit if anything must have been news for some long time owners(and I did search the forum for background info first).

Re: Re: Re: oil..again

Andy - at the risk of boring other readers senseless, a repeat of some history. The idea that detergent oils may affect bushings in Austin Sevens was first mooted by a Kiwi. I took interest at the time 'cos the diff in my '25 Chummy had just collapsed and the oil that came out was like Golden syrup (bronze bushings "melted" into the detergent oil). I checked with all big Oil companies and they all denied this was possible. I ferreted further, found an industrial chemist for one large world-wide company who admitted privately it was true. I wrote an article on it which was reprinted and circulated in UK, bringing initially nothing but derisive comments and denials. Eventually the oil companies began to admit that detergent oils do affect pure bronze, don't affect the modern alloy bushes. It seems if you use your Seven a lot and change the diff and gearbox oils almost as often, your car probably won't be affected. If left standing for some time it will. There'll be plenty of advisers around to say that they've never had any trouble with detergent oils in old cars, but I think they're just lucky (so far). So for proper advice go to companies like Penrite who make oils especially for old cars, because there'll still be other small companies around who'll deny there's a problem - either through ignorance or deceit. As suggested elsewhere, Seven Workshop can help you out and promptly. I'll now get down off my soap-box (those who know I'm not tall will say I need one!). Cheers, Bill in Oz