Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Registration Number

If you are very lucky you may be able to pick up an A7 chassis + log book of the correct date, and transfer the identity to your car.
I'm not sure about the legality of this strictly speaking, but I know that they come for sale up from time to time and it has been done!

Re: Re: Re: Registration Number

hi tom, i think you`ll find thats not very legal at all. the time i heard if you get your collor felt for tampering with v.i.n numbers. its a £2,000 fine and a possible 3 year stretch. (make sure you take your soap on a rope with you).
what you could do however is when building your next car instead of paying £50 for that chassis with no number.
pay £500 for one with a transferable V5c and sell the number for load of dosh to someone with more money than sense.

Re: Registration Number

Hi

A number plate comprising, say, UY and four numbers seems to be advertised at £950, which is about as cheap as this type of registration number gets, I imagine?

(UY was originally a Worcester plate and it would be possible to find out which vehicle originally had it.)

It is a real shame when they are separated from their original cars in the first place - it is a pity that they are not permanently attached to surviving historic vehicles.

Regards

Colin

DVLA has long had a rule that 2 letter 4 number age related plates are for pre 1931 cars only and later cars get 3 and 3. It's a shame that they clearly don't know their history since the 3 letter 3 number format wasn't introduced until 1933. However I suppose that we should count our blessings that they issue age related numbers at all.

Charles

I seem to remember that RADNORSHIRE was still running 2 letters & 4 numbers well into the 60's.Not many cars in Radnorshire I was told. Sounds like the place to be for me.

I've taken the option of changing my name by deed poll to having a private reg on my 20 year old volvo240.It's not hard and really cheap!
Yours,E24 LBR

May we call you E2 for short?

Mike

one of my cars had a personalised plate put on it (long story) the owner before me tried to register the car and was told the number was alredy on a vintage moter bike they oferd him an age related plate with 3 letters at the front, as the problem was not his fault he demanded a reg number with 2 letters after a lot of arguing he was given a banned number like WC or BF he accepted BF I have now seen a few of the banned numbers around at shows

Thanks everybody. I now know what to do.
If anybody does come across a suitable two letter and four number registration "on the loose" would you please let me know.

First.. Tony Betts say's "..instead of paying £50 for that chassis with no number. Pay £500 for one with a transferable V5c and sell the number for load of dosh to someone with more money than sense".

I presume Tony means a car with a current MoT, because you cannot transfer a Reg Number from a car unless it has a current MoT. This is part of 'Exchange of Vehicle Registration Document', AND thus the validity of V778/1 Certification. If the vehicle has been declared MoT'ed and Taxed (at zero rate) since Jan '98 then the current owner should be SORNing the vehicle/Reg No.......

Basically you can not transfer a Reg No. from a chassis. There are a few A7 owners out there who can vouch for that, having been visited by the Police, DVLA and the Vehicle inspectorate - oh and had to shell out money in fines, cost's etc. All part of the joy of being the A7CA Registrar, I hear these things and sometimes have to supply evidence.

Beware also of a A7 that's used for transferring Reg Nos. (Cloning) There's one in the Yorkshire area (and a couple in the home counties too) that the Vehicle Inspectorate were suspecious of and marked it with an invisible marker, it's appeared for V778/1 checks a number of times and action has recently been taken.

Finally, I have spent 4 - 5 years in legal action trying to regain a Reg No for one of my cars that I owned in the 60's (and now), but always the DVLA tell me it's up to me to take civil action, they are not interested, even though they sold on the Reg No. inspite of a falsified V778/1, MoT Cert's etc.....

And finally, finally, the Reg Nos. belong to the DVLA, not the car, the owner or anybody else, the price you pay has no legal clout with the DVLA at all, if they decide to cancel it, there's no compensation to you at all. As stated in an earlier post, 2 letters < 4 numbers, pre. 1931, but I understand they have almost run out of any of those combinations (I don't think they will start issuing redundant ones - that would be a mess) - 3 letters < 3 numbers they have run out of which is why we now have 3 Numbers 3 letters combinations for anything post 1930. If you must have an 'old' Reg No, there's plenty of firms selling them, including my old reg number, it's been on their books for 4 years now, but still they want £2,750. I only paid £1,000 for the car, completly unroadworthy.

Been there, got the hair vest, ..........

Sandy Croall, Registrar A7CA

hi sandy, nice to hear from you.
not heard from you in a wile.

i didn`t want to go into it to far and point out whats probably obvious to 95% of old car owners.
(i thought it might kill the momment)

IT HAS FOR ME.

but yes seemingly poor reg numbers are worth money.

i wonder why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all &Sandy,
Ebay number-:300275943146, Reg number AV 6477. IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT ?

link to ebay reg. number

I have seen whole cars (with decent numbers) go for less!