Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1928 - rear lights

Lance is correct ,my Chummy still has its single AT201 on the original bracket riveted to the no plate.Two additional lights have been fitted to the underside of the floor adjacent to the wings to comply with regs.

If you are intending to have the car in Show Room condition, but also drive it on the road, I would follow Dave Mann's example and that is to use a trailer board hooked over the spare wheel (Taken off at rallies etc.). Then the modern driver can see, big reflectors, indicators, stop and tail lights and of course the white of the board. There's still the chance the moderns behind you will do some late braking, but as Dave Mann told us moons ago, after a few close shaves and near heart attacks, anything to help modern driver see us is a bonus.

I used hand signals for years in my RP, but as the traffic became more intense, I found trying to change gear, indicate and steer into a roundabout just to much, especially after one particularly close shave, where the modern driver stopped me for inconsiderate driving and called the police. The police could see my dilema, and recommended I gave the matter some (serious) thought. I now have 6v indicators and changing gear and steering at roundabouts is a whole lot easier (and a dry right arm in the rain). I also have high intensity LED's in the stop/tail lamps.

Agreed the AT201 was originaly fitted during your period of interest

Sandy Croall

Sandy, can you supply details of lighting board idea. i.e. what holds the board on, where does it plug into and, does it use power from the car battery or does it have a separate battery. Also what do you use for a turn switch and flasher unit and how are the LEDs wired.
Like you, I normally use hand signals and have only had a couple of scare, both due to moder drivers mistaking a left turn signal for an encouragement to overtake.

Paddy,

Original rear lights look more like this (but with a smaller prism-like lens):

These modern ones can be fitted with twin filament bulbs so you can use them for stop/tail lamps. You can fit similar ones as indicator lamps:

or use these:

which can be fitted nice & discreetly front and back.

It definitely sensible these days to make sure that you can be seen. Modern drivers tend not to understand or notice hand-signals.

David

Brain

If you put Dave Mann in the 'search' box, some of Dave's posts will come up and thus the facility to email him. Dave can then give you all the details. I'm sure we had an article in our Cornwall Mag at one time, but put can't put my hand to it at present. Let Dave do the talking, at least then there's no chance of Chinese whispers (are we allowed to say that now with the PC polce about?).

Sandy Croall

I had the modern rear lamps referred to by David , with the big plastic lens. I am delighted to report that I got some lovely jewelled ones from Willie McKenzie to replace them.

David, can you tell me where you can get the round orange lights as per the bottom of your picture. I have been googling without success.

Norman,

you can buy them direct from David, see:

http://www.a7c.co.uk/spares.htm#electrical

and scroll down....

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Ruairidh

Thanks