Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin seven Values.

For some years I have been giving TLC to an elderly friends 1937 Ruby.He has died and the executor of his will has organized a valuation of his cars and memorabilia by Bonhams. I was asked to check over the car prior to this . The car is Stunning,black and looks nearly new. new leather and carpets. It lives in a centrally heated garage under a cover. It gets MOTed each year ,which is a formality,as since when he got it in 1990 it has done 886 miles! Question : what do we think It is worth in the present climate. I suspect it cost £8000 to £10000 to Do ? I have in the past done full restorations and have always advised that they will cost more than they will resell for. I feel that this one would only be cashable at. about £6000. at this time. Am I out of touch? what are your views?

Re: Austin seven Values.

As a 'newbie' if I was now going to auction to buy such a car I would be mindful that recommishioning would proberly be required. Add in auctioneers premium and VAT + transport costs = guide price 5000 - 6000 pounds. Current state of market not helping.

Mac - If this is for probate purposes the executors/beneficiaries will probably want the valuation kept as low as reasonably possible. As I have two Rubies I keep an eye on prices and it is rare for one to go at over £4500. I think you could put this figure on your late friend's vehicle. At an auction sale the value will of course be decided in the room but if it has to go a reserve of £3500 might be sensible.

Nick

Crikey! reserve at 3500!! said I was a newbie. They will be wanting a couple of bidders like me then. Seems no money at all, still as you mention the bidding room decides.

David - The Ruby is not generally as popular as the earlier chrome rad models which is why values stay relatively low. For example Chummies at £7000 - 8000 regularly pop up. It is possible to pick up a Ruby for £1000 to £1500 if you keep your eyes peeled and get lucky but the key issue is what Mac has highlighted - if you have the restoration work done professionally you will never see your money back. Do it yourself to keep and enjoy and it becomes much more economically viable.

I'm with Nick. Having bought my 33 box a year or so ago and having done some checking at the time prices seemed (and still seem) to be £7K for decent chummy, £5K for decent box, £4K for decent Ruby, all minus a bit for every area lacking originality (eg reg no.) or plus a bit for areas of excellence in condition, originality or providence.
I paid £4,200 for a box with new MOT, well maintained and seviced and generally in good condition, but without original reg, wrong period engine, and few niggles like petrol and speedo dials not working).
I have sorted most of the little bits and pieces and although now valued on insurance at £5800 by my club, I think I could still pick up similar for under £5K.

Re: Re: Austin seven Values.

Considering I've just bought an Mot'd pearl in nice condition, drove it home, no major rust, a little on the rear moulding, around 1/2 inch square and the bottom of one front wing, otherwise the only niggle is one rear window doesn't wind down, this was £3,200, I can't see a ruby at 6k, unless it really is the best out there, in which case someone who just "wants" a ruby will pay the money.

Interesting comments.. I have just brought a "scuffy" ruby for myself and Grandson to play with for £1500. I may have got it a bit cheaper but we wanted it. I have seen nice Rubys for under £3000.The one I referred to is exceptional. Faultless black bodywork and as new maroon leather trim and carpets.I will let you know what Bonhams value it as soon as I know.

Prices are still varied as Europe gets cash sensitive. We had a special, but with a nicely built sporty body, with an agreed sale into France, where the customer let it go when the pound went down. The car is over-valued at £5K, I believe, despite having a rather good collation of essentials. It might have done well as a trials car, but not in France.
The Ulsters are still high and complete Chummies with some level of quality are £6K+, or up to 75% more for earlier ones in good health.
What you need to consider is the real cost of renovation. Other peoples service charges are a strong indicator of value.
What are the single high cost items to replace or supply? Paint-work? Hood? Raw body?

The irony is that to properly rebuild a Ruby would, I image, cost far more than a similar job on a Chummy and yet resale value is less than half.
The anomoly I can't come to terms with is that an Ulster Replica is worth more than an original Chummy.