Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sports (Ulster) Crankcases

I recall hearing a logical answer to the following conundrum in the past but can't recall it for the life of me.
The Sports crankcases have higher engine mounting feet to align the propshaft with the flattened springs/longer anchor.
However the starting handle on the Ulsters I have had is still central in the rad shell hole.
I am fairly certain that the shell is dimensionaly like the standard item although the S/C shell is marginally different.
The crankcase web is still parallel to the chassis,but the gap is larger.
The shell mounting and cow horns are standard.
Any ideas?

Re: Sports (Ulster) Crankcases

Furthermore, David, the same should be true of the Nippy/65.

It is so long since I owned a 65 that I can't remember, but the obvious way to do it would be with a "set" in the flitch plates between cowhorn and rad. shell mounting.
Just a thought!

Regards, Stuart

Re: Re: Sports (Ulster) Crankcases

From a quick comparison on the bench the extention for the starting handle shaft seems to be at a slightly different angle on the Ulster part as opposed to the standard item. Perhaps that is the answer
Tony

David,

I think engine was raised more at the back than the front such that the engine was rotated about the end of the nose cone as you look at it in a side view. This allows the hole in the rad shell to be standard.

I have made spacers to go under the crankcase feet on my ulster rep so that the line of the crank is the same as a proper ulster engine. From memory they were ~3/16" at the front and ~3/8" at the rear.

Regards

Rob

Rob/Tony Yes I think that is the solution but it is more sutle than one foot being higher than the other.Looking at the crankcase in the chassis both feet are the same height and the web is parallel to the chassis.So the main body of the crankcase is canted with the web staying in the same relative place.
I recall now when the TT was being assembled a standard crankcase was fitted loosely to check clearences and the starting handle was centre of the shell.When the Sports crankcase was fitted it was still centre .