Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rear axle oil level and leaks

Yes Ruaridh the Sports(ulster) does have the long torque tube mount and the chassis ball mounted upside down compared with the Standard car.Easy way to spot a genuine Sports chassis.Torque tube mount has a plate, retained with 2 No 3/16 bolts, to keep it on the chassis ball.

Louis,
I used to have the same problem on my 1935 2-seater.
Flat rear springs definitely caused torque tube to point slightly down at the front and leak oil no matter how little oil in the back axle.
I didn't like having to lay out drip mats made from cardboard beer cases outside all my friends houses, so I splashed out £200 odd on new rear springs.
Car now sits up so high that I can use the correct bendy exhaust pipe. Absolutely oil free, at least from that part of car. Tim

louis

My special never had a problem leaking oil with flat springs, BUT I had fitted a sealed bearing to the front of the torque tube during the axle rebuild. This was partly because the brass/bronze gland looked knackered and partly because contaminated grease from the big ball joint is now prevented from wrecking the bearing. I believe other Cornwall club members have since done the same thing.

Steve

Thanks for all the information and advice. I want to keep the flat rear springs as it also has a flat front spring and dropped axle - it's a hot-ish chummy with Reliant engine and hydraulic brakes - so I'll measure how much oil I put in, check the front bearing at some time, and try to remember to heave on the spare wheel when I park it, that brings the torque tube above the horizontal and at least reduces the incontinence.