Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bonnet Rubber

When I put my Ulsteroid together last year, I used some brazing rod to hold the bonnet rubbers in place. This has proved to 'hard' and hasn't sat easily in the rubber. It has stood slightly proud and has started wearing through the underside of the bonnet. Not good. Can someone suggest something softer that will do the job? Cheers, Hugh

Re: Bonnet Rubber

I have copper wire on mine, if it does sit proud you could score a channel in the rubber beneath it so that it sits down slightly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

R

A good alternative to copper, which quickly work hardens and becomes difficult to bend, is the wire used by Bonsai enthusiasts. This is soft aluminium that is usually anodised to a copper colour and is very easy to work with, comes in a wide variety of sizes and is not too expensive.

That sounds useful, Brian. Do you know a good source for this stuff (Bonzai tree shops not being too common in Rugby...)?

David

Re: Re: Bonnet Rubber

What about aluminium welding rod?

Could perhaps be a trifle hammered if necessary.

Mike

David,

Found this online

Jeff

As I recall, most of the local garden centres stock Bonsai wire. Armitages at Shelley (Huddersfield) springs to mind but I've no doubt most decent sized garden centres will have it. I believe Austin used plain soft iron wire possibly galvanised, also available in garden centres, but the bonsai wire sounds interesting.

Martin

Re: Re: Bonnet Rubber

I've used plain, galvanised, soft iron wire bought from a Garden Centre for this job on a number of cars and never had a problem. It's the stuff used for tying plants to canes etc. and has a thousand and one other uses.

STEVE

Austis used plain steel wire which over time takes on an oxidised finish and settles into the bonnet rubber.
Could it be that modern 'rubber' is not as soft.I have never had a problem with bonnet wear using steel wire although some clips have taken on a 'bright' finish.I always clamp each end down with a pair of pliars or Moles.

Thanks for all the suggestions, will head off to my nearest garden centre on Saturday. Cheers! Hugh