Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gearbox oil capacity

Having just had the engine rebuilt, and overhauled the gearbox myself, I put them back in the chassis and put the body back on. Clean oil in both, but now there's an oil leak from the bottom of the clutch housing. I can't tell if it's gearbox or engine oil as they're both the same grade and completely clean so I've drained the gearbox to see if the leak stops. How much oil should I put in the gearbox? R.T. Nicholson's "The Austin Seven Book" says a little over 2/3rds of a pint or rather more than 2" depth, but page 528 of The Austin Seven Source Book 1 1/2 pints. Any ideas?

Re: Gearbox oil capacity

Hi David, gearbox 1922-32 (three speed) is 2/3 pint and 1932-39 (four speed) 1 1/2 pints. This is according to the "Companion" and derived from Austin data.

Don't forget that you can determine how much you have in the gearbox by using your oil dip stick place vertically in filling hole it will rest on bottom use the same marks on the dip stick
Chris

PS never be tempted to overfill

I definitely found that if I overfilled gearbox, then oil leaked into clutch bell housing. I use SAE 40 oil here and SAE 30 in engine.
I sucked some out with a plastic syringe until I could just see level covering the shoulder in the gearbox through filler hole. Level just about a first finger joint below outside top of filler hole.
Ah! How long is my first finger joint?
Tim