Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ulster/Ulsteroid AUY 496

I was shown this thread a couple of weeks ago and sent a mail to John Hughs with all the infomation I have.
In 1970 I bought a kit of UNRELATED mostly Ulster parts which included chassis no 130186 and the reg document for AUY 496.
The unrelated engine kit had crankcase no 126177 an unblown 8 stud type,the block was a blown 8 stud the head a 9E1 the cam was genuine unblown as was the nose piece and sump.Crank and rods were 1 5/16 Ulster.
The body was genuine but in poor shape no 185 c1932.Now most of the tail is original but the sides were replaced,the floor and scuttle are original.
The front axle was sports as were the radius arms.
The rear axle was a big banjo 5.67 this could be sports or military or milk float
The springs were flattened standard.
The steering box was Nippy.
The gear box was genuine Ulster which I bought via an ad in Motor Sport.
I found a set of genuine insruments.
The rad shell and core were standard 1929.
The fuel tank was the right shape but held in place with straps not lugs.
The hood and windscreen were remanufactured.
It was fitted with cycle wings not full wings.

A friend expressed an interest in the chassis which was out of true so I used another when rebuilding the car.The no on this chassis was obscured.
I had no alternative reg doc so used AUY 496 on the completed car and used the info in it for records.
I sold the car in 1976 and it was exported to Australia.
In 1984 the then owner of the car that originally was registered AUY 496 applied for and got the number demonstrating to the authorities its claim . 8 years ago I bought this car.
The XE nos were given to my current car when it was sold out of the factory racing workshop in 1936,hence the late reg no,they fall in the middle of the Grasshopper nos.The car has these the original car and chassis id plates.

Could you disclose who the 'then' owner was in 1984?

John,
The answer to your question can be found on page 45 of the A7CA magazine 2007B. That says Martin Eyre bought the car in the late 60's.

Surely the author couldn't be out of true like the chassis 130186 was in 1970!

Dave

Is this the same Martyn Eyre who wrote 'Austin 7 Competition Cars 1922 to 1982'? Would he be prepared to write the history of AUY 496?
I wonder if he could tell us who applied for, and got the number, demonstrating to the authorities its claim.

Davis Wilson
Is this the same Martyn Eyre who wrote 'Austin 7 Competition Cars 1922 to 1982'? Would he be prepared to write the history of AUY 496?
I wonder if he could tell us who applied for, and got the number, demonstrating to the authorities its claim.

Yes it is the same Martin Eyre, owner of some nice Austin 7s and writer of the competition book. He possibly could tell "us" but he isn't an internet user...

You have most of the answers already in regards to the history, there are articles about the car in the brown mag and another article David wrote about it in a London Austin 7 mag (name escapes me), that he and Barry Argent used to write.

I would suggest that David Howe must answer the unanswered questions.

Who was the friend who expressed an interest in the chassis 130186 in 1970 ?

When and How did that chassis become the chassis of the NEW AUY 496 ?

Why is the NEW AUY 496 on the A7CA register as chassis number 130185 ?

After the ORGINAL AUY 496 was exported what documentation was made available to demonstrate to the authorities satisfaction that the number could be re-issued and to which chassis number is the registeration number now allocated ?

Time has allowed the history of both the ORGINAL AUY 496 and the NEW AUY 496 to be written or created by David Howe. The history of the ORGINAL AUY 496 is set out by him in " THE JOURNAL " of August 1975,where in his own words he describes how he found the orginal owners and the history and photos they gave him of the ORGINAL AUY 496,that car was then sold by David Howe to Australia with its given history in 1976.
From 30th May 1984 the history of that car started to change. On the 10th June 2009 ( 33 years later after the sale of the ORGINAL AUY 496. ) David Howe makes the first admission that his previously promoted history of the ORGINAL AUY 496 was all untrue and the history only related to the Logbook.What evidence do we have to accept that the past history has now transfered with the re-issue of the registeration number to his NEW AUY 496,only that he says so.( That in his own words has already been proved to be unreliable )

Before history is allowed to be re-written an independent analysis of all the facts must take place or the real history of Charles Goodacre's Development Ulster will never be known!

Am I alone in having become rather bored with this thread (and perhaps the tone and direction)?

Charles

You're not alone Charles. Is it perhaps time for the moderator to step in before blood is spilt? It's just a car, guys.

Whilst I agree with most of that written above, surely we must get things right. This is not "just a car" but possibly one that could be quite unique. History is supposed to be FACT and for a car (and it's registration for that matter) to claim a historical background it must be proven. Little wonder Sandy is confused. Now that questions are being asked perhaps it shouldn't be just swept under the carpet? Cheers, Bill in Oz

Let us go back to the start of this thread.

John Hugh indicated, on the May 22, that he might wish to dispose of a car which currently he owns. He very properly requested information to provide accurate provenance to a potential buyer.

It turns out that the registration mark, at least, of the vehicle appears to have had a chequered history.

It is now being suggested that this string be removed from the Forum.

What are we running here – a parliamentary fees office?

Mike

Mike

I'm interested in knowing to what degree a car is totally genuine, continuous history, as raced.
Personally I don't consider the registration mark to be of much significance since they have always been swapped, changed, sold and manipulated - either with or without DVLA's knowledge!

Charles

By all means let's have the facts, but without the name-calling.

Thanks very much to all who have contributed responses to my post. Whilst still confused, I now know a good deal more about the various incarnations of AUY 496. I think the conclusion has to be that 2 cars exist that contain at least some components that originally graced the 1936 (?) original! A not unusual Ulster situation I suppose.

As I've mentioned to David, I do feel a bit peeved that DVLA switched the registration so arbitrarily. But maybe this is normal practice when the previous holder has been exported.

For Sandy: No luck yet with the chassis number - nothing between the engine mounts. I'll keep trying.

Thanks again everybody.

John

John Hugh,
On AUY 496's history,XE 25 is a Grasshopper Engine.The engine was for sale some years ago,and at the time was said to have come from a retired Austin Works mechanic.Could this have been Alf Depper I wonder?

Can't really help I'm afraid, Ian. XE25 is quoted on my AUY496 logbook but the actual engine is of course 126177. The history I inherited with the car suggests it was fitted with a Nippy engine when it (or, rather, AUY 496) came into Depper's possession in 1936. I've read somewhere that XE25 had been fitted to it earlier and that that engine went later to a Grasshopper (BOA 59??). Hope this is of some use.

John

BOA 59 still has its original engine which is XE23.

What year is AUY 496?

bill

I think 1931

Charles,

Thanks for that!

Bill

Was just doing some research on this... Is AUY one of the '31 works team cars then for the likes of the Double Twelve, TT etc etc?

-Bill

Bill,

None of the works cars exist in this country. Most were messed about with in the pre & post war period for club racing etc and as such broken up.

RP

Uncle Mac,
Please put this thead to bed, As i`m sure that not only me, and others are just about getting sick and tired of all of this bickering!!!!

Perhaps only people who are prepared to offer an email chance of reply should join in this fascinating thread in future. Not keen on censoring though.

I think it was me who originally started this topic in another thread, I was trying to resolve a query on the Register.

I think it can be assumed the history of AUY 496 has been clarified to some extent, but I would not want to stifle/censor any legitimate comments on this matter.

I still have a couple of hundred more cars or entries with conflicting data/duplications on the Register to resolve - these may well be due to cloning etc. and I admit I have dumbed down some queries as the outcome to the owners would possibly mean 'problems' - don't ask........

I know this Forum is 'Friends', but also it's been the most useful 'open' Forum to seek help and information in the many diverse spheres of A7 ownership, some topics are 'dry'/factual, others of great humour, that, to me, is the best part, the heart of this Forum.

Now Cheese, Mars Bars or Peanut Butter on the carpet in the garage under the tripped slege hammer..., or even Ian's Humane drowning machine... reminds me of the ducking stool for alleged Witches.... .

Sandy Croall
A7CA Registrar.

Sandy - we were waiting for your expertise on mice to come forward. Who better to advise than someone who lives in Mousehole? Cheers, Bill in Oz

Bill, although you would think we have lots of mice, in fact the place is overrun with cats...

The book 'The Mousehole Cat' (which was part of the English teaching curriculum at one time) has a lot to answer for, people seem to leave cats they don't want in the village when they go home. My dog of course has not been restrained from chasing them.

There are mice, big mice, but they are dwarfed by the Badgers we have in the village, one ran across the road about 10 feet in front of me this evening (on the way back from 'The Legion'), have to keep the dog in then.

Good village to live in, just (in relative terms) a long way from the rest of the country - Of course this pales(?) into insignificance compared with the distances in Oz. My eldest lad has just moved from Cairns down to Byron Bay, further than our LeJog's , but he say's it's just down the road (1,750 Kms???).

Now that mouse trap.

Sandy