Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Austin Script - Trivia Post

Can't wait to read it Bill. There is nothing better than a good 'de-bunk'.

There is so much urban myth in the air these days that it is difficult not to become intoxicated !

Mike

I would like to make up some lettering in the style of the Austin logo - has anyone got any more information on the typeface/font or its name since this thread started?

Your best bet is to take the Austin name as your basis for an "extension" of the font. If it looks right is probably will BE right. It's a form of coarse writing mixed with a little brush script.
Martin

I redrew the badge for our wedding to include my wife's name as well as mine. I can't find the file though.

It's quite a tricky one to do though.

If I can find it I'll post on here, it's in Adobe Illustrator btw.

Thanks Austin - the problem is getting a good match with ascenders and descenders - I need a capital 'B', and 'f,e,a,o,t and r'.

I have an Austin Seven Standard Sports Latrobe with an aluminium logo on the radiator which would have been produced in 1929 using the 'Austin' style lettering and of course the 20's Garage Charts have 'Seven' in the 'Austin' style. How do I add a picture?

When I was editor of the VARNZ magazine in the 1990s I used to trawl through old copies of the Autocar and anything else I could get my hands on. My memories of the 1910-15 magazines is that the script used for Austin was used by quite a few other advertisers. So if time was taken to go through these I think you would find the correct script for quite a few letters, thereby making your task a little easier. Happy hunting - guarantee you will get sidetracked by some of the articles in the early magazines. Great task fof the 'snowed in'! There was coverage of your snow on our TV news every night. Have enjoyed stories and pics of Austins in the snow. All the best, Ross V

Hello Ross. I think Tony Press may not be a Pom,although I did see some snow by the Snowy river in Victoria a few years ago ,by an amazing coincidence.Mostly gone from here now however.
Tom has taken his Cup out on the only Lake in Scotland however,if you'd like a copy I can email you if you ask.
Ian

Ian, very prescient of you - no snow here in Melbourne just now either - although we have gone from 40c to 20c and showers.
Well - I think I have found how to post a picture, so here goes-

Austin Latrobe Logo

Tony

Tony, very helpful picture with additional letters I can use for my Austin alphabet. Capitals are tricky. Now where can I get hold of 1910-1915 motoring magazines I wonder?

Use Google images!

For instance this page came up very quickly;
Lots of Autocar covers.

Photobucket
I cut this out of 16 gauge ali.Some people say it looks more like "Water" rather than "Ulster" To be correct there should be "oid" on the end. No,not "Wateroid"!
Cheers, Dave

Barry,
Here is the Taylor Austin Logo from 15 Feb 29 Light Car & Cyclecar with some of your required letters.

Taylor Austin Script

Bryan

Just had a look at the ford logo and that seems to be in the same script Thats one or two more letters!.(the "t" in taylor gave me the idea)

You can find the ford script as a font:

a google search this was the first one.

http://cooltext.com/Download-Font-Ford+script

I have downloaded this and installed it in word. Not perfect with the Austin script, but close!

It needs to be compressed a bit - the letters look to be wider. The A is simpler on the badge. Check out the U for Ulster though!

Peter

Brian, thanks for the Taylor script, and Peter for the nod towards Ford