Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Smoker's Hatch spec please

We are getting to the end of major restoration of a 1933 RP Standard box saloon and would like to fit it with a copy of the original smoker's hatch which is missing.I would be very grateful if anybody could send me some pics and dimensions of the hatch and we will then fabricate one. Many thanks Jeremy. PS This was my first car I ever bought back in 1963 - the restoration started in 1970!

Re: Smoker's Hatch spec please

Jeremy

I have a Smokers Hatch on the car - I will try and get some details on here....

Uhm.... I think you maybe the one who I promised details a couple of months ago, if so, my apologies, I have had a number of diversions....

Sandy

PS .... and as I write this the door bell goes and somebody wants an A2 sized presentation picture collage put together and there's 120 pictures on the CD to work with, when by, you've guessed.

Sandy

Hi. Are you anywhere near Northampton? We've got a '29 saloon with a hatch if that's the same.

Jeremy, when I restored my RP over thirty years ago I found on stripping the large aluminium sheet off the roof the timber framing was still there for a smokers hatch, which I have reinstated. Sometimes you see original ones on autojumble stalls but I managed to obtain a brand new one from either Paul Beck or the Complete Automobilist. They may still stock them as they were fitted to a number of cars notably Heavy 12/4 and the like.

It might be worth checking the web sites and from memory the size more or less fitted the original opening. I have photographs of the framing let me know if you want copies.

The smoker hatch was a perfect excuse for me to stoke up my smelly pipe. I have been forced to give the habit up so I just think of the hatch as a small sun roof!

Hope this helps

Regards

Eric

Lads in the Village (and I've heard it muttered in Cornwall A7 Club too) call it an Aerofoil on my car..

Standard spec. RP, it just goes a little faster downhill than others

Sandy

Sandy Croall

Standard spec. RP, it just goes a little faster downhill than others

Sandy

Mind you don't bounce off too many grockles on the way down and please try and stop before you reach the harbour.

Rob (looking forward to this summers trip to Kernow)

Thanks Sandy - Yes it was me who enquired last year. Any info you can let me have would be great, thanks. Jeremy

Here we go then, details of the Smokers Hatch on my RP Standard Saloon.....

First though, The outside of my roof is metal, but it is evident underneath it is can canvas, felt and 'chicken wire' before we reach the new headlining - not done by me. The car bodywork was taken back to bare metal some 12 years ago and primed. sprayed etc, although the 'restorer' left things on the bodywork, like door handles, trafficators, Smokers Hatch etc. - All this before I acquired the car. In the few photo's I had with the car under restoration, I could not see any evidence of the roof being removed, so I don't know if it should be metal or material.

The glass bit is held open/closed by those strong spring Cylinders, which presumably have some over-centre device - I'm not taking mine apart to answer questions though, you lot on your own as to what to put in there place....

The final image of the inside showing chicken wire is from a well known Beaulieu visitor who's car looks cr*p, but does very well in the ring event's. I heard a couple of years ago he was going to do a restoration, pity really because that will be the loss of another easy to access resource......

Any Questions.... Big file photos available..

Sandy Croall. E&O.E. (PS - Right, the full sliding roof details next!!!!)

I should have added, the 3/4" vertical metal strip/band around the inside of the opening is I believe welded to the outside pressing, there's no rivets visible.

The bit onto the outside of the roof, plus the glass holder look to be pressings. there is a retaining plate for the glass, and I would think a sealant in there alround - the retaining plate is riveted to the outer pressing, sandwiching the glass.

The pressing to the roof is held on with ordinary slotted wood screws.

I mention restoration in the previous post - I am basically the third owner, the first 1934 - 1952, the second 1952 - 1999 and the car was also later used by some of the lady's family, but no real work was done on the car. In 1997 the lady owner decided to get the car out of it's Garage and have some work done so she could (be driven as it turned out) go round her local Cornish lanes. So it underwent a restoration, finally she was able to enjoy about a years travels before passing away. So the metal roof may be original, I'm sure Mac will know...

Sandy Croall

Just to give you an idea of their value on evilbay,an original one in good condition sold recently for £130.Seems expensive but cheaper than scratchbuilt if you include labour.

Andy, I think I would agree with you there, but some people like a challenge....

Sandy

David Williams
Hi. Are you anywhere near Northampton? We've got a '29 saloon with a hatch if that's the same.

Many thanks David. We are near Buckingham - so quite close. Sandy has sent thru fantastic info so we will see how we get on. May we come and see you if we get stuck. Regards Jeremy

Sandy - thank you SO very much for all the time and effort you have put into your reply to my query. I think we can now build one. I would rather buy one from somewhere but have so far been unable to source one. I will let you know how we get on. My RP too has an aluminium roof with chicken wire and felt under it. It is secured round the edge with screws and the metal has a bevelled edge to it. The Smoker's Hatch woodwork is still in place. Once again many thanks, Jeremy

Sandy's fabulous, much appreciated, coverage of the smoker's hatch is what this website is all about. Now, could some Ruby owners please study their hatch and tell me if it's the same? Thanks in anticipation. Cheers, Bill in Oz