Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Clutch Adjustment?

Evening all....
Been a frustrating if sunny day...
I'm still in the process of rebuilding my engine... and have got to the phase of joining engine to gear box... but have had the clutch apart for a clean and new springs...
But I'm unclear on how to achieve the magic 1 1/4 inch gap to the clutch dog legs... I seem only to be able to achieve this by backing the bolts of that hold the clutch to the flywheel, leaving a gap between the two!
Is this correct? or should the clutch be firmly bolted to the fly wheel...
Any thoughts would be much!!
Thanks
Ru

Re: Clutch Adjustment?

Ru,

You suggest -

"backing the bolts of that hold the clutch to the flywheel, leaving a gap between the two"

No - don't leave it loose!

"or should the clutch be firmly bolted to the fly wheel"

Yes!

The instructions are to set the Levers by bending - presumably cold which is difficult. I think there is a tool for this.
Woodrow has an interesting solution with 1/4" BSF Grub Screws at the fulcrum points in the Clutch Cover, but I don't know how long this would last in use.

Tony.

Beware only original Austin toggle levers can be bent, repro ones will break, whilst some repro toggle levers are the wrong shape. The grub screw at the fulcrum point is very effective, but make sure all toggle levers are set to the same height. How worn are the toggle lever ends & pins?

what I do is build up the pivot point on the lever with welding insitu on the cover plate. It is fiddley as the plate requires "offering up" till it is right. Nothing else ,I find is satisfactory. As another tip I no longer use the early release bearings with my 3 speed box having had several falures . I fit the later release bearing and carrier and late "hammer head" levers. all you have to do is remove the little lug by the output housing to allow it to position. These bits are innexpensive and available.

I had the contact points built up with weld and then machined back flat by helpful local machine shop, looks like new and should (I am told) see me out.
Andy

Hello Ru, an excellent mod for clutch fingers can be found in the companion page 142 credited to D.Short 1963. I have tried this roller (a bit of old drill) in 1975 and it gave a mutch lighter pedal with a LOT longer travel. cheers Squeak's virginal post