Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: A7 gearbox oil

TonyPress
Frank,

You asked-

"Is the difference in gear/motor oil range due to them being graded by different bodies? The SAE for motoroils comes from the Society of Automotive Engineers whereas gear oils are rated by a body I cannot name but could be american."

Here I go again - upsetting the technophobes -

No - the viscosity grades for engine and gear oils are both SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) ratings. The engine and gear oils just have different range specifications.
The service designations for gear oils GL1 through to GL5 are set down by the API (American Petroleum Institute), who also set out engine oil service designations.
There are similar European bodies to these with equivalent specifications.
API GL5 requires extreme pressure additives for hypoid gear lubrication. API GL1,2, 3 and 4 do not.
The sulphur phosphorous extreme pressure additive requires metal to metal contact in heavily loaded hypoid gears to work.
The Austin 7 spiral bevel differential does not produce this action so an EP won't work (except to attack any bronze bushes etc).

Tony.

Tony, am I right in understanding that EPX GL5 won't work because as you point out a 7 back axle doesn't have the shear characteristics of a hypoid but EP GL4 is OK? I say this because some people might interpretate what you are saying as all EPs don't work.
On the issue of corrosion, I was told by Castrol that GL5 EPX had to be at 80-90C for problems to occur. I know, not an issue as we needn't use it anyway.
P.S is it the heat from the metal to metal contact that activates the additive?

Bill
Can I just congratulate you on a stupendous first ever post, 1000 reads and 50 comments.
For your second entry you have something to live up to, so can I suggest 'I am about to buy an original Ulster and would like to know how to make sure that it is genuine....discuss'

Andy B
Essex

David Anthony
I use grease in my Ruby's steering box.
Is this a sin?

I asked the question on the VSCC forum last night and from the replies I immediately got I would go for Penrite Steeringbox Lube. It is a semi-fluid grease which is self levelling. Hopefully this won't dribble down the arm. It is Extreme Pressure with no corrosive additives & recommended for vintage car use.
£5.95 + VAT for 500ml.

Castrol advised Spheerol EPL00 , again a semi-fluid grease but this does not apparently come in small quantities.

Frank,

I would say it depends on the EP additive - if sulphur phosphorous I would say don't use it. A GL3 lubricant will suffice. I note that all designations below GL5 are no longer officially used, but suppliers still quote them.

"is it the heat from the metal to metal contact that activates the additive?"

Yes.

1 2