Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1930 Box saloon, short wheel base

Can anybody help me, please, with the history of this car since 1987?
Car no. B2/5148, chassis no. 122174, engine no.M122871, RL5908 stamped on the transmission tunnel. Built approx.November 1930.
Now bearing an age related no. DS 7553, but originally found bearing HY 4474, believed to be wrong , as this was a Bristol issue in December 1931.
Thanks

Re: 1930 Box saloon, short wheel base

A friend of mine has just put his October 1932 RP on the road,when he bought it it had a V5 issued in 1987 but no V5c, he contacted Bristol Council (his car is HY also ) and they have all the original registration cards still,they sent him photocopies of the cards free of charge and they also showed the suppling dealers name. I know you are looking for history after 1987 ,but it might help with earlier history.

I just wonder if it is the car owned by my workmate in the early 1960s Rodney Hall who was one of the people who started the Bristol Austin 7 club in 1965. He bought the car for £4:10s after seeing my newly acquired Box Saloon. It was an HY registration and the number seems familiar. It was chocolate brown when he bought it but immediately painted it red with yellow coach lines around the edges of every panel! It was called ‘ZEKE’. It was later owned by a deaf and dumb member of our club called Ron Lunn, and he did send me a letter a couple of years ago saying he wanted to sell it so there is a good chance this may be the car.
I was at the Bristol record office last week and they gave me the boxes of HW registration cards with no problem. I can easily go and look at the HY records for you. Just let me know Ian

Thanks, fellas, mistake in original posting - I should have said history prior to 1987, not since. I think I know the owners since, and as the previous owner had it for three years, it is unlikely to be Mr.Lunn. The car is now royal blue and black.
But if you can look at that HY registration,Ian, that would be most helpful.

The dealer's name plate is still there,on the dashboard, Carr Bros., of Purley, Surrey.

Hello Patrick,Just found some old notes, the name was Ron Lee not Lunn. Rodneys car was HY1644,so close.Will try to get to the record office near the end of the week. Ian

HY reg then very likely to be unrelated to car as if it was supplied in Surrey would have had a Surrey reg

Purley would have probably been PL ****. Mine is!

Carr's may not have had the car direct from the Austin Distributor (The process to an end user/garage was not direct from Austin's), Carr's may have had the vehicle as a trade-in and then badged it - much the same as retailers now put on their own badged number plates.

There's many a pitfall in something that is absolutely standard......

At a recent rally I attended there were 15 RP's, not one identical to another.

Hi Ian,

I was going to email you about an HY reg inquiry but there is no link to your email. Would you be able to drop me a quick email so I may contact you please?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Ed

Hello Patrick, went to the record office this morning and found nothing exciting: Did not have the original first registration card (last time I went I was given the complete box with all of the cards). For your car there was the document transfer card that had: To Northampton Council forward to Luton Borough Council. Date Requested 26 May 1976. Date dispatched 11 June 1976
Not sure if the rules have changed during the last couple of weeks regarding showing the original card with the details, or the woman was a ‘jobs worth’. Best I could do Ian

Ian

Many thanks indeed. Guys like you are worth their weight in gold. Sorry I'm a pauper.
Patrick

Thanks for the kind comment Patrick. I will leave it a few weeks and go again and see the young man that let me have the box last time. I am sure they have the original cards, why would they have them for one series and not the other? All the best Ian

Ed,Sorry I seem to have missed your post somehow,was it me you wanted to contact? My email should now work. Ian

We owned this car, for more details you can call me 07779 020408