Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Seven special

Hi all, just saw, that the Oliver Way 7 special Salamanda is for sale. Would it be a good idea to spend some money on that one ?
Cheers
Peter

Re: Seven special

More details & photos here. Click on 'Salamanda'.

David

Salamander looks very interesting but I would rather have the 1927 Chummy (although as noted in the past it seems a bit expensive).
Ben would probably say "That chummy is over restored and is it brand new"

Tony.

the salmanda looks superb. I wonder what sort of price it is at? david do you now?

Another write up on the car:

http://www.anarchadia.co.uk/2008/05/vintage-thing-no18-salamanda-special.html

Its full of lovely details - I rather like the brake cable runs.

David

The Salamander is a nice looking car,allready showing a nice patina,Does any one know how much it is?
Tony you are right,that Chummy is to shinney for my liking.Did I just agree with Tony??I need a lie down..

http://www.oliverway.co.uk/Salamanda/index.asp

The price is £30,000.

Which as a VSCC member pointed out is probably what it cost.

I'm a bit taken aback by that.

What's the range for an Ulster rep these days?

David

David Laver

David

You can have mine for £30k!

They seem to go for anything between £8k to £15k.

This one looks OK at £12k.

Salamander is a nicely built car and as others have said must have cost close to that to build.

David Laver
David

What you must realise is that Salamanda is not just any old Ulsteroid. The very existence of this thread demonstrates that. The whole concept, design, construction and appearance place it in a totally different league. I think you should regard it as being in the same bracket as the Salmsons or Amilcars or even Bugattis of the mid-1920s. It is unique, and the asking price reflects that.

David

I couldnt agree more.
This is a one off.The only down size is it has not been designed to carry the larger fraimed Austineer.
I am sure it will realise that sort of money,and remember this has come from a designer who is creating some amazing cars.

I have to agree with that. It's a work of art and completely unlike any other Austin Seven on the scene! I hope it finds a good new home..

David Cochrane

What you must realise is that Salamanda is not just any old Ulsteroid. The very existence of this thread demonstrates that. The whole concept, design, construction and appearance place it in a totally different league. I think you should regard it as being in the same bracket as the Salmsons or Amilcars or even Bugattis of the mid-1920s. It is unique, and the asking price reflects that.

David

If an Austin Seven special constructed in the past ten years is potentially being regarded in the same bracket as Amilcar's or Bugatti's then something is drastically wrong with the old car world.

£30k for an A7 special constructed recently, with no period history either on the road or in competition is nothing short of absurd.

Scott

Scott I have discussed this car in great detail and agree, it should not be compaired with Bugattis ,but my great friend Mr.U.R.A Dick has explained that one has to think outside of the box .

I have seen and admired the Salamanda and once met the lady owner at a Cornwall Club doo, she was a very pleasant lady. It is a very interesting construction, although I would dispute its "novelty". The quality of construction I thought was outstanding and its appearance is fantastic. However I find it quite distressing that it appears to be worth 30 grand, and have some sympathy with Scotts comments, whilst not wishing to insult or criticise the owner and builder . I can only see that this value is reached by it perhaps being regarded as a modern art peice or industrial sculpture of some kind as oppossed to an old car turned into a special with no history or story to tell.
I very much enjoy looking at the Ways various creations and lets be honest they always are bound to get people talking, but am always at a loss as to how I should regard them? Clearly they are above the average special both in design and execution but then neither are they "real" in the way say an Ulster or Frazer Nash with racing history is . I think the problem is how to value these things which is were this topic is struggling a bit .
It also perfectly illustrates how "polarised" the Austin Seven and racing movement is. On the one hand someone like myself can build a special for peanuts out of bits begged and borrowed and whilst its never going to be pretty to look at, some fun and enjoyment can be had. On the other hand a "cheque book "racer can be built which has its own merits. As for an "original racer" built out of sawdust from the seat frame of a car that once lapped some far of country with a famous driver at the wheel then we know the sky is the limit and the price demanded would have purchase a modest flat not that many years ago .
I suppose we should be grateful that for the time being at least the Austin Seven movement seems to be able to accomodate us all in one way or another regardless of income or social standing, although I worry that there may come a time when that is not true , certainly some recent prices are worrying for the everyday man in the street trying to pursue a legitimate hobby.
I shall take heart tonight by re reading my copy of "building and racing my 750" by P J Stephens, I am sure this will make me feel better. If this fails then a quick perusal of the classic motorcycle magazines were prices seem to be based on the ability of a normal man to pay for the items should allow my wallet to rest easy and sleep tonight .
No offence is intended to the seller or the Ways, these are just my random musings on a Saturday night stuck in with a stinking cold .

Steve

Scott McBurney

If an Austin Seven special constructed in the past ten years is potentially being regarded in the same bracket as Amilcar's or Bugatti's then something is drastically wrong with the old car world.

Not necessarily. There would appear to be quite a few Bugattis built in the past ten years so why not?

It's a very nice car and of course I'd like it but if I was going to spend that sort of money I would have stretched a bit further for this Amilcar which made £35K

Charles

Steve Martin
......... As for an "original racer" built out of sawdust from the seat frame of a car that once lapped some far of country with a famous driver at the wheel .......Steve

I like that one Steve

Steve,Interesting..Mr Crill even more interesting

Wow, what have I done ? so many answers and interesting comments. No way for me to spend some 30.000 but anyway
the builder of this car did a hell of a job. Never saw such a well balanced design on a 7 chassis.
Will keep on reading here.
Cheers
Peter

Charles P

Not necessarily. There would appear to be quite a few Bugattis built in the past ten years so why not?

Charles,

I've nothing against building specials or anything at all like that. But my point was that it is a recent creation which even though it is an interesting and well engineered car, cannot be looked upon in the same way as a proper Bug or Amilcar.

I suppose for example you could look at T13 Bug's built from entirely new parts. Yes they command a high resale value but then that is in relation to the excessively high values that few original cars obtain. In the same way Austin seven specials generally achieve a figure relative to original cars.

In this case the cost of engineering this car undoubtedly out ways what it is actually worth. It has no historical significance. No matter how pretty the body looks or how well it goes it is still just an Austin Seven special.

Ben,

I don't really have to think out of the box with this. It's pretty simple.

"You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig"

Scott

The only way I can rationalise this one is as an "art price". The guy seems to be talked of in the same way as a sculpter or something. He's a known and respected "brand".

As a price for an Austin 7 special the price is eye popping, its five times the number I'd first think of for "a special". While having seen the car I could imagine double, maybe a little more to the right person on the right day but five times is a streatch.

In terms of expectations I just went to another known brand, different field, clicked the first catagory that caught my eye and the first item that jumped out. Its a box, 2ft wide, a pretty one but take a guess at the price before scrolling down.

http://www.davidlinleyfurniture.com/metroplitan-museum-jewellery-box

What's in a name? Its an "Oliver Way" special...

David

Was Salamanda commissioned to be built by a customer of Oliver Way and was this person the aforementioned Amanda de Salis,hence the name "Salamanda"?
Just curious.
How much would you expect to pay for a commission to build a one-off kitchen for example?

Dave Wortley
Was Salamanda commissioned to be built by a customer of Oliver Way and was this person the aforementioned Amanda de Salis,hence the name "Salamanda"?
Just curious.
How much would you expect to pay for a commission to build a one-off kitchen for example?

I would assume that the price paid for a commission does not always equate to the saleable value of what is being produced. If I paid someone £50k to carry out work to a car that was worth £30k as it sat, the car is not then worth £80k.

In this case if it cost £30k or more to produce it, you can't say that that is the value of the car.

I'm sure if we all added up what had been spent on various cars over the years then we would all have cars worth a lot of £££!

Scott

Scott,
I haven't a strong opinion about this. I appreciate the craftsmanship and the originality in design of Salamanda. I think in the design world there is a term for the style demonstrated by it. What is the current price for a LeRiche Swallow replica, does anyone know?
Cheers,
Dave.

There is a slightly unoriginal '34 Box saloon for sale on prewarcar.com at the moment for £14950 which makes the Salamanda look cheap?

Dave Wortley

Yes!

So presumably if I bought it I would have to call it a Preston!!!
Doesn't have quite the same 'ring'.

Tony.

David Laver would have to call it a Lada which is worse, surely.

I always have a smile at Laverda motorbikes.

David

I've always fancied the "Smartin Special"

Hello all,

The Salamanda special is offered for sale, for more information please see www.salamandaspecial.co.uk.

Kind regards,

Hi all,
Very interesting! I completely agree with everyones comments...it is a work of art...its beautiful,yes! I would like it in my garage......BUT....why is a dealer/seller allowed to use this website to blatantly sell a very nice car???
Discussion?...yes! For sale,well, there is a corner of this website,I think its called sales/wants.

Is it me?????

Agreed, Simon. Whilst it's a work of art, it's just that and I'd be most surprised if it's sold at that price. As for the explanation of the origin of the name - if I'd been asked to guess, I would have suggested it was the combination of Seller/demander. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Here are a couple of shots I took at Donnington

Click on image for bigger version.

A wonderful car!

Robin.

Robin, love your website